What do truckers do after they hit the 11 hour mark for driving?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ThisisMeUsee, Apr 21, 2018.

1. ThisisMeUsee

ThisisMeUsee Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Obviously you can't drive anymore, what other work do you do for the next 3 hours? Also, should you have planned ahead to find a truck stop? What if it's full?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Eat and sleep.
    Forget the other three hours.
    Yes, plan ahead. That’s what Garmin is for.
    Full? Park in street, Wally World, another truck stop, entrance exit to freeway, on freeway, joe’s place.

Tb0n3 and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  4. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i was at a local walmart and they now had a sign up "no truck parking". the little bit that i drove over the road, i realized how difficult that can be sometimes. when my day is done i park the peterbilt and go home. im not held to an EDL either, i know on one occasion i far exceeded the driving hours. i delivered a load to a plant AFTER i ran my route, he was short on drivers. i ended up sitting in the bay at oatka waiting to unload. i think that was a 16 hour day, rarely happens.

lets just say i was on an ELD, every-time i stop to load at a farm i would stay on duty but go off of driving? i make 5 stops per day, plus the time spend doing drop and hook, and pulling a trailer that is live load. i would be changing status so often an EDL would be a real pain in the neck with my particular job.

i hope they never remove the 150 mile exemption

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. jaxwinner

jaxwinner Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Barton Arkansas
    I do my pti and log it in the computer, then usually get in the bunk, fire up the a/c, and play golf clash. Talk to my fiance, watch directv, and snack. I usually know where I'm going to stop when I leave after lunch and if it's full I have one or two back up spots. With elds some trip planning is essential. Routes to take to avoid tolls and rush hour traffic, where to stop for fuel (I use comdata's fuel finder), and where to stop for lunch and the end of the day.

6. deafaviator

deafaviator Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Mess around on my computer and play some games, eat dinner, go to sleep wishing I had gone to sleep earlier... like I am right now... lol

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If it was me I would be parked at the 8th hour. Better to be in a legal space than trying to rake a stack of violations looking for one that wont exist later that night in three states.

Back in the 10 hour driving days some nights between say PA and TN you cannot find a legal spot anywhere. I don't expect that problem to improve with the increasing number of trucks on the road.

If the driving time is finished, the day is also finished. the so called 3 some hours left is poof. gone. Not used. Just because you have a 14 hour day does not mean you get to sit there and burn 14 hours at work because some days you don't do much at all. Ive had days where I drove a hour, shut the truck off and went home. Done. It does mean alot of hours go into the recap. It also means there isnt much money made that day either.

But as long you are careful to keep spending below what you are making minus some set aside for savings you can do well in any situation.

Highway Sailor Thanks this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You eat take a shower and sleep. It takes 1 hour to get a shower at truck stop. During the day driving you have traffic and stopping to eat and bathroom. You might have take shower in the afternoon because that when you got fuel. So you might drive 11 hours but it will take 14 hours to get it all done. You have to wash clothes sometime during the weekend. Post stuff on internet like this. I got to get going ha ha

9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Some truck stops have a movie room. Iowa 80 and Jubitz truck stop have real movie theater in them !

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    In the old days a driver just started driving on their other logbook.

11. Smokehouse1953

Smokehouse1953 Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2018
    If you have to work over 14 hrs a day to make a living driving a truck I would think your in the wrong profession

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.