What do you actually check on a pre-trip inspection?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Sep 10, 2023.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The last 2.5 years have been my only experience with drop and hook and I’m thankful that this company has nice trailers.

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    At my company, whenever a driver pulls a tractor or a tractor-trailer into a terminal, the driver is required to bring the tractor/tractor-trailer to an inspection bay. That is probably how my company notices and repairs any hub oil seal leaks. It's not from the drivers themselves reporting it. I know that.

I will start check the inside of the wheels on the opposite side of the tractor/trailer on my pre-trip inspections.

Long FLD Thanks this.
  4. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    If a trailer tire has a 100 lb when I pick it up and two days later it has 80 lbs, then I know there is an air leak that needs to be taken care of.

expedite_it Thanks this.
  5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    How long is your hometime?

Last Call Thanks this.
  6. Sons Hero

Sons Hero Road Train Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    I’ve had several wheel seals go out, and every time I smelled them before I could see the gear lube. Just added some more lube to the 1 for a couple days, until I could get it in the shop and change it. They’re as simple to change as your engine oil.

Last Call Thanks this.
  7. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    20230729_082111.jpg Fairly simple, but a bit more effort and skill than changing oil and filter. 20230729_082058.jpg

8. Sons Hero

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    I think anyone with average hand/eye coordination is perfectly capable of changing their own. Just stack the parts in the way they came out! It’s not rocket science :Monkey wrench:

LameMule Thanks this.
  9. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    Til it comes to torqueing the bearings and setting preload/endplay, then it's hillbilly witchcraft if you don't have the proper tools. There's a pile of "techs" that do oil changes daily that I wouldn't let near my wheel bearings! There's a reason the TA makes you sign the form stating you witnessed the tech torque the drain plugs, common sense ain't common and the TA hedges against that.

But I agree, any owner op should be fully capable of changing a wheel seal simply for the fact that we should understand as much about what we drive as we possibly can.

Hammer166 and Sons Hero Thank this.
  10. Sons Hero

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Good point about those “techs”! I don’t think some of them can even change oil right. My brother had his truck serviced at a truck stop once while he went in to eat, and they didn’t even put oil on the new filter seal before putting it back on. Next service he was pretty mad til he got that dry seal loose! His oil filter in behind the rail where you can’t really get a good grip with 2 hands. Good thing someone invented looong screwdrivers and hammers lol! There are some things I won’t try for myself, like an engine overhaul, but I can do my own “part swapping”

LameMule Thanks this.
  11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    It takes less time to adjust them than it does to call someone, pair of needle nose and a socket, snug it up and back it off 1/2 turn.

Sons Hero Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.