What do you actually check on a pre-trip inspection?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Sep 10, 2023.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Need to check inside the axle.

That means sticking your head down in there. Or looking from the other side.

Kyle G. and expedite_it Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    you should be able to look at that cap and see oil inside the hub, that's how you check the level.

expedite_it Thanks this.
  4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That particular hub looks grease packed. I don't see the oil level if it has oil in it? I had those exact same hubs on a trailer but they were factory grease packed.

expedite_it Thanks this.
  5. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Do you notice that your post contradicts Crude Trucking's answer to my question? What do you have to say about that?

6. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    Yesterday Crude Trucking told me that he can tell from the photograph of the outside of my trailer axle that my hub is oil packed. So why would I need to check inside the axle? Please advise.

7. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    There is no sight glass on it.

8. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Screenshot_20231005_061605_Chrome.jpg That clear ish plastic in the middle is or would be your sight glass. I'm also now thinking those are grease packed hubs. if they were oil you should be able to see the oil and I think it would have a oil level indicator on it

rollin coal Thanks this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yeah I saw that. I saw the same thing lester did. There's no visible oil level and those opaque sight windows don't have the "low", "full" marks that are normally on the clear (not opaque like yours in the pic) sight glasses of typical oil bath hub caps. You can have either oil bath or grease packed behind those type hubcaps but that one just appears to be grease packed imo.

expedite_it Thanks this.
  10. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    It's grease filled .. why do you have to make a huge production over the simplest things ..For somebody thats been in a truck as long as you say you have .. you would think that would be pretty easy to figure out .. but being the drama queen you are you have to drag it out for 20 pages

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2023
    Kyle G. and Sons Hero Thank this.
  11. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    What the heck is the "clearish plastic in the middle"? I don't see anything even remotely clearish on the wheel hub in the photograph. All I see is a red thing in the middle and other parts of the hub that are gray/silver colored. I don't know what you are writing about.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.