What do you actually check on a pre-trip inspection?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Sep 10, 2023.

1. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    About 10 minutes

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I ran the road call on that and the driver said he had a flat tire, so you can imagine the first words when I rolled up. Luckily it wasn’t my first rodeo.
    When your buddy asks if you want to make some extra money and it’s 22:30. The answer should be no.

4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Do you ever have trouble getting them closed?

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You check for axle leaks on the outside but you won't check the inside?

Makes no sense at all.

Get your head down inside there. Look for inside leaks. Examine them brakes for wear and cracks. And check your brake gap indicating a Mal functioning adjuster. Wiggle the shaft for loose bushings. Check your brake cans. And all hoses.

Long FLD and Last Call Thank this.
  6. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    When I was in trucking school, the instructors told the class to look for hub oil seal leaks on the wheels on the steer axles and on the trailer wheels. The instructors told the class to look for axle gasket leaks on the drive wheels. The instructors never went into any detail to tell the class where the hub oil seals were except to say that the hub oil seals were on the wheels of the steers and the trailer tandems. The instructors never said whether the hub oil seals were on the inside or the outside of the wheel. I always just assumed that the hub oil seals were on the outside.

I could drive a semi-truck for 100 years and not know that the hub oil seal is on the inside unless someone tells me so.

I have seen splatters on the OUTSIDE of the wheels of the steers and on outside of the drives and on the outside of the trailer tandems before. It never occurred to me to look on the inside and nobody ever told me so. So how was I supposed to know that?

How do you check for hub oil seal leaks on the steer axles?

silverspur Thanks this.
  7. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    I didn't know. At trucking school, the instructors told us to look for hub oil seal leaks on the trailer tandems, but they never told us whether the leaks would be on the inside or the outside of the wheel. I'm not psychic . So I didn't have any way of knowing better.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Hub oils is on the outside. Axle leaks or bearing seals are on the inside.

#7 in your list.
    Very wrong thinking.

7# check the drive tires for axle gasket leaks from the outside (as opposed to crawling underneath the trailer and checking for axle gasket leaks on the inside)

Sons Hero and expedite_it Thank this.
  9. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    That's probably why some of us don't understand your methods. We ain't all gone to school

10. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    Nobody ever told me that there are no seals on the outside, and I'm not psychic. So I didn't know.

At least twice in my career I have seen a splatter on the outside of a wheel and tire on the steer axle, and I have always reported that splatter as a "hub oil seal leak" to breakdown. Neither breakdown nor any mechanics that I talked to about it ever corrected me and said that the splatter is not a hub oil seal leak. But if there are no seals on the outside, it has occurred to me that the splatter on the outside of a wheel and tire on a steer axle might not be a hub oil seal leak. What are the words to describe a leak that consists of a splatter on the outside of a wheel and tire on the steer axle?

Furthermore, what are the words to describe a leak that consists of a splatter on the outside of a wheel and tire on the trailer tandems?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.