What do you all think?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by -MadMax-, Apr 21, 2012.

1. -MadMax-

-MadMax- Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Thanx for the encouragement, and compliment.

As I sat here reading your post, my phone rings.

It's the guy that I was referring to previously about being in dispatch now but had driven most of his life.
    Well, he just called to confirm with me that the load I'm taking tomorrow is NOT a "pre-load". It's a "load and go" (which most are). He was making sure I knew because he would not be there, and he is assigning trailers right now. (AND someone didn't write it down for him to assign an empty to me, rather than a pre-load)

He said, "Ok. Just wanted to make sure. I'll get you a good trailer".

That's awesome.
    But honestly, when I look at what my pay was last week, not even $500 after taxes, I think to myself... perhaps I should have went LE or Armed Security after all. I just enjoy driving a Big Truck and being on the road.

But I gotta go where the money is.
    You're advice is well noted, as it is currently my frame of mind as well, in regards to future employment. At least being employed as you look for new employment takes some what of the "rush" out of it and one can focus on the proper questions and attributes of the Employer.

You have safe travels as well. TTYL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. -MadMax-

Feb 29, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Hello ya'll

I just responded to another poster in a different thread regarding attrition/drop out rates amongst students/drivers in the trucking industry.

I'm going to paste what I posted there because this is my venting thread.

so, here we go;

I'm looking at having paid $5k for "trucking school" - when really, they barely teach you more than what is needed to get your CDL.

I have issues; A DUI which is almost hitting the 5 yr mark. NOT wanting to go OTR because I have a family and kids. 4 of em.

So that limits me. It limits me to a job where, upon figuring out the hours invested and money received, it comes to oh, about $12.00 an hour. Even when the DUI clears 5 yrs the only way, as I understand it now, to make SERIOUS money (and even THIS route, as I see, is questionable) - is to go OTR and drive your life away. Getting to see your family maybe 4 times a month. Heck, in fact, sometimes I feel like I should have just went back in the Army. But THAT is another story better left to the political section of TTR.

Which brings me to my point, in regards to this thread and attrition/drop out rate;
    At THIS POINT, right now, in time, I just may be one of those figures.
    I LOVE driving a big truck. But having a military/security back ground, and guns, etc, I love doing security type work too.

Only problem with that is that it pays squat.
    UNLESS... you go ARMED Security. Which, in PA where I'm at, requires ACT235 certification. Which cost's about $600-700.
    See my math? $5k (already invested) to make $12hr or $700 to make $16+

*additionally*

I cannot make any excuses for my naivety in expecting better pay in this line of work. I truly did not do "my home work" before starting out. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing, long story, that should have went differently, but it didn't, so here it is, now.

Bottom line:
    I'm just not making the money I thought I would.
    LESS in fact than I can accept. As I stated in previous posts, I just cannot get ahead on this income. Can't do it. Barely if at all, covers all my bills. The wife handles all of that, but I hear about it every time I get an "on call" day or when a load pays $86. For example, tomorrow, I'll be delivering to Baltimore, MD.
    That's about 8 hours driving, 2 hours loading, tarping, strapping the flat bed, then untarping, unstrapping said flat bed at the customer. I estimate (based upon the MOST money that I believe I can make) - $150.00

Most likely, the figure will be lower, as have several of the figures I expected to pay better. Divide $150 by say, 11 hours, and that is like $13.60hr.

Indeed, I hate to sound like I'm female dogging here, and I'm trying to ride it out, but I really don't see how, as I've stated about the "guarantee" previously, I will be able to make what they have "promised". The closest I got, to the MINIMUM amount promised, was still shy $70 and that was seriously bustin my hump.

I'm disappointed. In myself for not being better prepared. In the pay that is given to people that provide a valuable service that takes a special kinda person and puts A LOT! of responsibility/liability on their heads.

Long story, well, still long...
    I may not remain a "Truck Driver".

good night

4. -MadMax-

Feb 29, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Took me from 0830 till 2000 hrs to load a flat bed, tarp/strap, deliver, untarp/unstrap, and drive back to the yard to drop the trailer.

That's 11.5 hours. We'll see what it pays next week.

But as for work tomorrow? I asked dispatch. "I'll call you in the mornin. See what's going on up north".

Then I got home, and got to thinkin...
    How the heck is he gonna call me "in the mornin" when he doesn't even come on duty till NOON!

If I don't work tomorrow, this'll be TWO DAYS of being "on call" this week. That is anywhere from $250-$325 that WILL NOT be on my pay check due to being "on call" 2 days this week. BS.

rant over

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I hear you , I didn't work today and on call tomorrow . Rain bites.

6. -MadMax-

Feb 29, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah.. I shoulda known better.

CEMENT!

I have worked enough in construction/masonry to know the effect rain has on that line of work. Never put 2n2 together though. Like I said, disappointed with myself here too.

I just pray (God willing) that the rain goes away and we have a dry summer. But then the farmers hurt. So... like I said, God willing.

7. Drifter42

Drifter42 Hopper Heartache

Dec 4, 2011
    Seymour IN
    Lol I think the voice is Bill Engvall.
    Madmax keep looking around and find another gig. Although I never hauled cement, I have pulled dry bulk for 6 years or so and it can be pretty decent money in it. I don't really know the dry bulk companys up that way, but just look around for them[they are there]. Most haul clay, limestone, sand, talc etc. If you stick it out for a year if you can, it will open many doors for you.

8. -MadMax-

Feb 29, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Yes. It is Bill Engvall. Youtube has the music video. That song is quite funny.

Not exactly sure how (or who) it applies in this thread, but hey...

Yeah, I'm TRYING to stick it out. I WANT to stick it out. But if I can't meet my bills then I CAN'T stick it out.
    Talked to my wife about it last night. I really feel like in 2 weeks it'll be exactly opposite. She'll be complaining that she never sees me and the money will start rolling in.

As soon as we hit nice weather.

Thanx for the kind words. Be safe.

9. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Hey Madmax, this is why I post to newbies about going over the road vs. local.

Yes you can get lucky and land a good local gig but it is rare!

If you don't land a local gig then you are forced to go over the road. If you need to be home, have a family, etc... then it really sucks and you are now "stuck like chuck" having to serve your time and pay off all of your schooling and debt.

I know sometimes it comes across negative but this is the reason I do these posts. I just want to bring forth the reality and risk and combat the dream lifestyle of trucking that recruiters paint to you new guys/girls.

For those that love trucking and are fully prepared to put in the time it takes to become a professional and then land a local gig a year or so down the road, don't have a family or aren't concerned about home time, then go for it.

If not, this is what can happen.

Good luck man, its just going to take you some time to get your feet wet and learn the industry to able to get a good driving job.

10. -MadMax-

Feb 29, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I hear ya!

I was talking to another driver yesterday about this and he encouraged me to stick it out IF (that's the problem, IF) I can and I'd be eligible for that $900wk guarantee.

BUT, there is another problem;
    Winter. I'm being told that it slows down where guys are only working 1-2 days a week and drawing unemployment to compensate.
    Good for those guys that get that $900wk. But at MY pay rate I'd be lucky to get half what they get. And THAT ain't gonna cut it either. PLUS, I just came off the whole freakin unemployment beni's thing and don't want to go back.

Ya know, I'm ranting a lot here, but as you stated, maybe someone will read this story and see another aspect of trucking.
    But honestly, my teachers at school pulled no punches. I told them from day one I didn't want to do OTR and they were like, "good luck". One said his brother does local and he works, comes home, showers, eats, goes to bed. Wash, rinse, repeat.
    But, at least he is in his own bed and able to protect his family should the need arise.

I'M not as worried about the situation as my HH6 is. She does all the accounting and we're not meeting the bottom line. That scares her. Me? I KNOW it'll pick up here soon. It has too. So I'm buying my time and getting better at doing something in my life that in my younger days I did very little of. Eating crow&grit.

thanx chompi

11. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    MadMax, you DO NOT have to spend a day OTR. Many local companies WILL hire you. Look in LTL, more construction, or even pier or rail yards(if you have any by you) Do not listen to anyone about you must go OTR. I was in your situation when I got my license a year and a half ago. I was only 22 but a good friend of mine kept telling me that I have to suck it up and go OTR for a year or two, and me being so stubborn I refused. I landed a gig at Con-Way freight as an apprentice where they trained me. Although I was always on call for them and only get 10-15 hours a week making a 100-150 a week and in NY that wont even cover you. YRC required a years experience but I could only verify 8 months from con-way, although I drove with my dads friend whose a owner operator from time to time but couldnt verify it. YRC took me right in. ABF has a school too and probly the best company to work for. Try Old Dominion, or even Estes Expresslines. Estes wanted two years, but they called me with the less experience, although I didnt take it because I was at YRC already. UPSF was willing to take me with 6 months exp but I wasnt eligible for them due to a ticket

What Im trying to tell you these companies WILL hire rookies. IT doesnt hurt to apply. I do pretty decent as a P/D driver at YRC, but if I switch to road driver I will make almost double but working a lot more. If you ot any questions about any of these companies feel free to message me

Also forgot that they have benefits for your whole family so that would be good if you dont have any

TruckerzWifey and -MadMax- Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.