What do you consider good pay?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by NewWorldTrucker, Apr 21, 2024.

1. dave01282000

dave01282000 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    I remember reading at one point UPS was advertising $170k but that seems too high to be true.

You see a lot of "top drivers earn x" or "earn up to x" and of course "flexible home time"

Stonehjl and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OlegMel

OlegMel Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2023
    That’s a good pay these days. When i was a company driver my checks were anywhere from $1800 to $3100 a week (3100 was when i first started, pay was .85cpm than went down to .75 because of the market)

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I always love to see threads where there is a similar question and it's an opportunity to let it be known how good they really have it. You know that's good pay. Lol. Good pay is defined as adequate money for my efforts. For the most part, I've always made good money. The bills got paid. The wife gets some allowance. The kids get what they need and some wants. As a long as paid market wage, I'm good. I'll chase the miles no matter where I am, and that's what tells the story in the OTR world.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    If it's doing what you need for it to do, then it's good money. If experienced drivers aren't making enough money, it's almost always their own fault.

6. NewWorldTrucker

NewWorldTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2022
    I’m not ignorant so you’re right. I understood that’s good money in almost all professions, but I haven’t compared it to other trucking gigs. Some made it sound low compared to what we “should” be getting.

Also I’m not OTR. I’m local. Load pay. 5 day work week unless I want to run 6 days. Usually top out at 50-55 hours.

7. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I think, in any industry, you'll hear that statement. Most feel they should be getting more.

Funny not so short story.

My wife works in the medical field. She recently took a new job with another company, and actually took a pay cut to do it. And she's commuting much further to work. All that for $18.50/ hour, but with top notch benefits. But she loves the job, and the future earning potential is pretty good, but it's not about the money for her. I make enough for us to survive and enjoy things. She just likes the job.

When she was hired, I discussed it with my boss, as it would ultimately affect me as well with having to run the kids around for sports and other school stuff. As a matter of friendly conversation, He asked about how much she's making. I told him and he proclaims 'That's good money for the job!' . And so it was.

Fast forward about 8 months. His daughter is working for a company, makes like $23 an hour, living in a townhouse (with three roommates) in a rather expensive area nearby. He tells me one day she's quitting her job and moving home. He says she's not making enough to make it worthwhile, and can't afford groceries.

I instantly thought back to my wife making $18.50/hr and having to commute 35 miles. But somehow my wife makes good money and his daughter making $4.50 more per hour with a five minute walk to work is getting the shaft.....

As I said, we don't need the money my wife makes, it's literally just money to blow on vacation or whatever. So I really could care less. But, at the same time, I find it rather rich that as a business owner, he feels his daughter automatically should be paid top dollar for her half assed work ethic, while telling me that my wife makes 'good enough' money.

This is the issue I have with some people. The entitlement mentality.

Sometimes I wonder if employers pay an employee just enough to think they're making good wages, but not enough to thrive. All while stuffing their and their families pockets and bemoaning how nobody wants to work anymore

8. 54international

54international Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2024
    Good pay is the pay you are happy with that you put in the bank completely unaware the person sitting next to you takes home more.

TX2Day Thanks this.
  9. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Business pay just enough to keep you coming back the next day. They spend more on lunch than their employees make in a week.

Not every employer obviously but I’ve seen enough to have learned.

I’m not an employer but I can understand the system now that I’m a business.

10. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Salary 1750 a week W2 with benefits and pension , 3 meals 2 snacks hotel every night paid with corporate AMEX.
    Paid whether you drive or not

11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Some of these numbers sound too good to be true. Who do you all work for paying the big bucks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.