What do you guys do for health insurance?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by csryan, May 15, 2017.

1. csryan

csryan Bobtail Member

May 14, 2017
    I'm interested to see what you guys do for health insurance if you're self employed. Do you buy it or do you get on your spouse's plan, etc?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ever since Cigna pulled out of AZ, we have been on the exchange.
    Now we pay more for less coverage and have a much higher deductible.

4. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My wife is a NYS employee, we have great medical, dental, vision and prescription.

5. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Good luck now. I had a Blue Cross policy and it was canceled. Individuals, trying to get health insurance at this time will be shocked at the pricing. Very few companies are willing to write these policies anymore. If you do get a policy it will be very high, with little coverage and a ridiculous deductible.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I just buy it for my family on healthcare.gov. You see bunch of plans and pick the one you want

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Yup, my blue cross was taken away by the last nit wit.....

Now I'm off the exchange and found a company that still sells single policies...

$925 a month for just me.... I was paying $1200 with blue cross years ago ...

8. roadeo

roadeo Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2014
  9. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    That is crazy.... Even at around 250 a mo I just do without

10. PNW.WA

PNW.WA Bobtail Member

May 23, 2017
    Get a job with UPS. Theyll pay for your family up to four members just for working part time. Nothing out of pocket.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Yup. I had a great policy, but the extra fees & taxes imposed on it made the premium more than double. Couple that with the inability to add my wife to the policy when we got married and I dropped it like a hot rock. Looked at it again this past "open enrollment" and where I HAD been paying $65/month back in 2008, they were wanting $1000/month today for the wife and me. My old deductible was $1750, and now they were wanting $6000 "in network" and $13,000 "out of network". Where we live, it would be "out of network" anywhere we'd go. Then, the 80/20 split I USED to have (up to $4750 max per year out-of-pocket) was now 80/20 IN network, but 50/50 OUT of network, with no upper limit. In other words, I could pay $1000/month for coverage that wasn't worth the paper it was printed on, or just hang onto that $1000/month knowing I'd be paying any and all medical expenses that come up whether I had their useless policy or not. It just doesn't make sense to buy a product THAT expensive that doesn't provide ANY reasonable coverage with an absolutely atrocious ROI. Want me to have insurance? It needs to be a worthwhile investment. I want insurance, to protect my assets in the event of an unplanned, unexpected, serious injury or illness. You don't buy a home owners policy AFTER your house is fully engulfed and expect that "pre-existing" condition to be covered. You don't buy flood insurance from the rooftop as you await a rescue boat and expect that "pre-existing" condition to be covered. You don't buy collision insurance as the wrecker is unwrapping your car from around the tree expecting that "pre-existing" condition to be covered. Doing ANY of that would land you in jail for insurance fraud...and yet people EXPECT health insurance policies to sell coverage for conditions that ALREADY exist, and if that isn't bad enough, they DEMAND they get the same rates as people who have no conditions pre-existing or otherwise. I want insurance. I'm betting I might need coverage, and would like to protect my assets IF something does. The insurance company is looking at the likelihood of something happening, betting that I won't have any need to make a claim against the policy. THAT is how insurance is supposed to work. Once you have a "pre-existing" condition, the insurance company knows there is a 100% chance they'll be paying out, and the premium they charge you ought to reflect that. If there is only a 5% chance that there will be a claim against my policy, WHY SHOULDN'T my premiums reflect that lower risk? Good drivers pay less for insurance than "high risk" drivers. Homeowners who live in low-crime areas with low risk for major storms also enjoy lower premiums than those in high-crime areas or areas with frequent major damage-causing storms. Health insurance, though, for some ridiculous reason works the opposite. Healthy people are bent over and raped so that the unhealthy get to pay only a fraction of the care they receive year after year. I'd like to see premiums based upon a 5-year rolling average of medical expenses in addition to a low monthly "base" rate. Have a major claim, your premiums will go up some. Have a bunch of major claims, your premiums go up a lot. Stay claim-free for awhile, and your rates come back down. That would also cause consumers to start caring about what their medical costs might be. It is absolutely ridiculous that nobody at a hospital can tell you what a routine procedure will cost until AFTER it is done...then they send you a ridiculous bill. You demand it to be itemized, and 3 months later you see that they charged $80 for a dose of an OTC drug you can buy at Walmart for $0.20/dose, making you wonder what the mark-up is on everything else on that bill. You want me to pay it? Let's keep it reasonable. The other ridiculous thing about health insurance under Obamacare is "routine" stuff is required to be covered. Does your car insurance pay for tune-ups, oil changes, safety inspections, tire rotations, or brake service? What would your car insurance premium look like if you rolled up to the pump, paid your $10 co-pay, and filled your tank? Would it matter to you what the gas station charged for fuel? No, because you aren't the one paying the bill. So the gas station stops posting prices because nobody using the gas is actually paying for it...until someone rolls in wanting to pay cash. Nobody knows how much it'll cost, so they just agree to "send you the bill"...but when the bill arrives, they expect you to pay $100/gallon. Had they told you up front that's what they charged, you could've gone elsewhere and found it much cheaper.

I know I got a little off-track there, but Obamacare can't be gotten rid of fast enough in my opinion.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.