What do you think of folks that have bariatric surgery for weight loss?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Mtn. Dew, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Been there. Last semester of college I weighed around 350. Ate one salad and lots of brewsters every day for 5 months. Lost around 130. This was in late 70s. No one talked about nutrition. Tab and Fresca were the only diet sodas available. Nasty stuff. Started working out. Walking more etc. Like you said it's not that hard if you make it an integral part of your lifestyle. But then here come girls and good times and it's easy to get your priorities messed up. 1st time I ever heard of this was bypass that a friend of mine's dad had. Had worked up to over 450. Died in hospital from complications. That was mid 70s. Come a long way. I would never do it but if someone wants to more power to them. Seems like a large % wind up right back in Tubbyville 5 or so yrs down the road. That goes right back to decisions they make. Keeping your feet out from under the table will always be the best method. Just depends on how badly you want it except in a small number of medical cases. Just know that there is a special place in Hell for all those naturally skinny people who can chow down and never gain. lol

Mtn. Dew Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    its funny I lost weight when I hopped into a truck, when I started trucking I hit my highest at 306 and last year got myself down the 46 lbs, I still have a lot to go but im trying to get back into the grove lately. I plan to cook more meals and freeze them to eat on the road since I am home 2 days a week.

Mtn. Dew Thanks this.
  4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have a family member and his wife who had the lap band surgery. Both initially lost a lot of weight. Both have also gained much of it back, even with the bands still in place. I noticed with one that he still does a lot of snacking. I have seen him kill large bag of potato chips. What he and his wife have failed to do is to have a life style change. If you want to lose weight you need to change your habits. Eat less but eat more healthy choices and get some exercise. It can be difficult to get much exercise in this business. However, you can eat more healthy. Eat more vegetables and fewer carbs. Stay away from bread, potatoes and pasta. It isn't really that difficult. Most obese people make poor food choices. I watch those with the most weight will usually go after the high carb choices on the buffet. I am about the same weight today as I was 35 years ago. It is a choice. You can lose weight with a low carb diet. When I am on the road, I will often have an omelet for breakfast. Rather than eating the potatoes I substitute fruit. Many who are obese will also over eat. You absolutely MUST control your portions. If you get hungry, eat an apple or piece of fruit instead of potato chips or candy. Cut out or down on soft drinks. Try drinking juice or water instead. I usually have water with meals when on the road. It is a much healthier choice than the soft drinks. Obesity is a choice. You choose to eat foods that are not nutritional and result in weight gain. Staying lean and fit is also a choice. You can choose to eat better and to exercise. I can't imagine having surgery to lose weight. There is an old saying that if you do something for 30 days that it becomes a habit. If you make lifestyle changes for only 30 days, it will become a habit. Any time you have surgery there are risks. Having surgery to lose weight is not a necessary surgery. If you make your mind up to lose the weight and to make changes, you can do it. Something that might help would be to get a composition book and keep track of everything you eat or drink for a month. If a month is too long, then try it for a week. You might be surprised at your choices. You can do it. All it takes is the will to change.

Mtn. Dew Thanks this.
  5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    to the original poster you take the advice of the people who heard about this or that
    dont pay any attention to someone who has been there and done that
    and researched it before i did it

but what do i know
    i did stay at a holiday inn express last night

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    My neighbor had that done yrs ago and she looks great.Mtn Dew I think if your friend doesn't do something about his weight he will die.Hows his health?I think a better person to talk to with your concerns is the person who will be performing the surgery.

7. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Good advice. Did you just go back to glauming on the same foods as before or make changes as I imagine they suggest at all the counseling you mentioned? Seems to me that those that do try to make healthier choices are the ones who get lasting results.

8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I would not want to have surgery to lose weight. There are always risks to any surgery. If you are having a problem losing weight, change your eating habits and start getting some exercise. It just takes some will power. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight. All you really need to do is change what you eat. Some people to over eat and that can also be a problem. Most mainly eat the wrong foods. Most people with weight eat a lot of bread and consume a lot of carbs. Cut out the potatoes, pasta and bread. You don't have to completely deny yourself, but do need to control how and when you eat. Substitute vegetables and fruit for some of the things that are not good for you. Eating less quantity but more frequency can also help. Not having seconds can also help. Do some reading about nutrition. Eating some of the junk foods has little or no nutrition compared to other choices. Eating chicken can be more healthy than grabbing a hot dog. It doesn't take that much longer to eat better and to get healthy rather than making poor choices. Your body needs good fuel to run and do well.

9. thestranger

thestranger Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2011
    dallas,tx
    his behavior gonna be different its not the right decision good luck gordo.jpg

10. Mtn. Dew

Mtn. Dew Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2013
    GA
    thanks guys for your input. I am worried about my friend being very over-weight and am happy he wants to be healthier. I'm hoping and praying that the surgery will go ok, I don't want to lose my friend.

There are lots of good success stories out there.

11. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    worked great for me, but you have to take your supplements, and vitamins exactly as advised, my Dr. has me on 60 grams of protein a day, every day not just when its handy or when you remember, every day, if I slack off a little today I'll feel like crap for 2 days. I had the full Ru-en-Y bypass removing about half of my duodenum, lost about 160 lbs. 7 years ago still staying right at 205ish. But you still have to follow the rules. Anyone that regains weight after any form of bariatric isn't doing what they were told.

Cranky Yankee and Mtn. Dew Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.