What do you use the trolley valve for?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Still trailers on the road that don't have park brakes either. Even in the mid 90s (maybe even beyond that) you could still get lowbeds and pole trailers without them.

Dino soar, okiedokie and TripleSix Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Prime example of a useful application for the spike.

Imagine that trying to accordian up and try and throw you off the road?

okiedokie Thanks this.
  5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Short logger.
    Next Mule train. Now that can get squirrely when its greasy. What hello was I thinking. It'll be fun they said.
    app_05.jpg

AModelCat Thanks this.
  6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    No! FIRST thing you learn for air brake endorcement is IF service brakes fail the spring brakes take over. That is why it is was called the EMERGENCY curcuit and is color coded red. Long before it was called the parking curcuit.

7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    A good Lo Lo reverse also helps. Thanks for the idea on that tool. I hate not being able to get rolling to slide em. The other truck has a pretty high reverse

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I do, because you’re talking about two separate systems.

A brake chamber has two sides, the service side and the emergency side. What your red knob does is sends constant pressure down the emergency side to release the spring brakes, and ALLOWS air to go to your regular service brakes.

Pamela1990, gentleroger and kylefitzy Thank this.
  9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I wish I had a iPhone back in 1999 when I watched that truck roll down the parking lot and across the scale at Anthony New Mexico! Driver did just that!:)

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  10. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

I don't know what happened in that case of course, but think that most people who run in the bush, had to grow up with it in them somehow. We are a strange bunch, and its not for everyone. About 5 years ago I was asked to take a driver out, give him a taste of what it's like to drive logging truck. He had been driving for about 15 years, and was thinking about going to work for a logging company that had a few trucks of their own. He went with me for 1 trip, didn't even go back for the 2nd load of the day, i dropped him off near his car. The woods boss gave me an odd look when I got back to the show, and was alone. So I told him, the guy said we were all insane, and no way in hell would he drive that road. Apparently he had his eyes closed a bunch of the time, and was so scared he almost puked. According to him, nobody should drive that road at all, and he wasn't sure why we called it a road.
    For us that do it, its just another day at work, but may explain why I find driving on the hwy so boring.
    When I enjoy the hwy is when on vaca, and riding my Indian. Something therapeutic about rolling along on my bike.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  11. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I use my trolley brake for the main thing it was designed for.
    A long time ago trailers did not have spring brakes on them.
    When they sat for a length of time the air on the trailer would leak off and the trailer brakes would release.
    With that being said when you back against the trailer to hook up it would just push the trailer around the yard but not come up on the pin.
    The old procedure for coupling was back up to the trailer then hook up air lines charge the trailer with air then pull the trolley brake to apply trailer brakes and back under the trailer.
    I still pull an old school tri axel trailer with no spring brakes and use my trolley for hooking up all the time.

striker, jason6541, kemosabi49 and 7 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.