What do you want in a broker?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Lilbit, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    I am a retired driver, and have decided that I want to become a broker. I plan on starting as an agent for another broker to build my skills, reputation, finances, and client base.

I have read the comments about the bad brokers, and have gathered quite a bit of information from the Brokers 101 thread. I know a few drivers, and have heard what ticks them off about brokers. I have already developed some ideas on what to do and not to do from the research I have done so far. I have also been doing research online and have found some good sources of information and potential ways to obtain info on shippers and carriers.

I am up to the challenge, as I do have an understanding of the industry, though I realize there is always more to learn. My husband is a company driver. I try to keep up with what is going on in the industry.

I am capable of dealing with the pace as well as being able to talk to a variety of people. One particular job I held in the past entailed processing anywhere from 60 - 100 new construction homes through the building permit and certificate of occupancy process with two different county building departments, dealing with everyone from construction superintendents to the sales people, sub contractors, county officials, and the division president. There were a lot of steps involved in that, and I had to know what was going on with each house at every moment - copies of blueprints, truss layouts and various other documents required by the building departments, checks to pay for everything with the counties, etc. I also had to learn that job completely on the fly - it became an individual position when I was hired, as business was booming.

Ok, I rambled a bit there. I feel it was a very useful experience for me. I do not plan on having to learn brokering completely on the fly as I did with the permitting job, but I know that I will be learning as I go, as one does in just about everything.

What I would like to know, so that I can work to become one of the 'good' brokers is this - What would you like to see in a broker? What makes a good broker to you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    This is real easy to answer. Who is paying for fuel? Who should get the full FSC? Who is tarping? loading? driving all night? stuck in traffic? dealing with 4-wheelers, DOT, COOPS and Cops? away from home? missing their family? Who should get the lions share of the revenue?
    Broker like your still the one behind the wheel.

4. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Its called full disclosure. Meaning the truck knows what you made on the load and sees what you made on the load, and knows that you aren't skimming money off the top. (This is a very sore subject for most O/O's because its such common practice)

100% of the FSC goes to the truck. The broker should not get a cut of that money, since the broker is NOT paying for the fuel.

Keep the dead head miles to a minimum. Its too expensive to dead head 400 miles to get a load.

Plan the loads so that the driver is legal and gets his rest. And if that driver refuses a load, don't make his life hell.

Understand when the truck is in need of repair, then the time that truck spends in the shop, hurts the O/O just as much as it hurts you. NO O/O wants his truck in the shop, but when it is, don't badger him, its stressful enough the way it is.

Treat the O/O like a partner, not a slave.:biggrin_25525:

5. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    5mouths - I like that "Broker like you're still the one behind the wheel". My hubby is driving, and I still think I'm behind the wheel!

bullhaulerswife - AMEN on the fuel surcharge! I already had that philosophy in my head. I like the rest of your points, and they go along with my thinking very well.

Thanks to both of you for the input!

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

We could close the topic right now and that would be all that would ever need to be said on the subject.

You've got an uphill battle on your hands because of all the useless brokers that have gone before you.
    Good luck on building a profitable fair business.

7. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Thanks Brickman! Yes, I know it is going to be an uphill battle, but I've always been a bit of a maverick. I'm in my very early 40's, and have held about three jobs in my life that would be considered the normal track for women! Because of the influence of parents and grandparents, I have a high work ethic. I pay close attention to details, and believe in doing things right the first time.

Brickman Thanks this.
  8. TX_Proud

TX_Proud Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Some things to consider for brokers:
    1. 1 or 2 page contracts
    2. Pay in 20 days or less
    3. All details of load pick/deliver on rate confirmation (weight, dims, address, phone, etc.)
    4. After hours phone number for breakdowns, schedule changes
    5. Email list of loads you are looking to move (helps you build a carrier base)

anothercupajoe Thanks this.
  9. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    Like TX Proud said, you need to advance and have quick pay.

I think the best thing for all brokers to do is GO AWAY, then we could finally start making money, sorry for being harsh but this is true.

newly crusin Thanks this.
  10. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    550hpW900L - I understand, and don't take very many things personal. As a former driver who had to give it up due to physical reasons (bad shoulder and back) I still think like a driver, and plan on treating my drivers well.

Some of the suggestions I have read so far were already part of my game plan, such as 100% of the fuel surcharge going to the carrier/driver, getting and passing along all necessary info regarding the load, and having seen the comments here and in Broker 101 about full disclosure I agree with that completely as well.

11. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    I thought of something else, and that would be the back haul. There is no such thing as a back haul. The load goes from point A to point B. Period, just because it happens to be near where we live, doesn't make it a back haul, and make it worth less.

Brickman and anothercupajoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.