What do you want in a broker?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Lilbit, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    I was taught to be honest by my parents and grandparents. I'm glad I have not lost that over the years, because there have been many occasions where my honesty hasn't done me a darn bit of good. I still stick too it though, cause if I don't then I would lose respect for myself.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    I agree my comparison is in no way scientific and may have been a poor choice. The real point in all of this discussion is that bad brokers are out there and they need to be stopped, be it a joint effort by drivers to just refuse loads and educating good brokers (or wannabe's) or being regulated like the real estate business. Good hard working people should not be treated like slaves just because no one is watching. I believe our joint banter has brought to light many of the things that Lilbit was looking for in the original question. I think we have both brought up different issues that could be helpful in support of an honest broker.

Lilbit and TX_Proud Thank this.
  4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    These posts have indeed been helpful to me. I had a basic idea of where I wanted to go, and the posts have helped confirm a lot of my thoughts and added some new ones. I haven't even started on the agent thing yet, which is going to be my starting point, and then once I have learned the ropes, developed a following, and built up my finances, I will fly solo. I like to start educating myself well before taking the first steps of anything. I know I have a lot to learn as far as the procedures, methods, etc. Keep the ideas, info, and feedback coming!

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I hope that your time with an agent isn't a night mare, or worse yet they create problems for you when you want to step out on your own.

6. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Grand Rapids, MI

Very true- and great advice- you'll never retire off one run... That's how our transportation works, whether it is quoting a rate from our trucking division, or covering overflow runs from our brokerage half...

7. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    I'm hoping so too. I am going to be very careful about what I get into with whatever broker I start with, and make sure that stepping out on my own will not be an issue. I will also make it very clear from the start that I have that in mind. One broker that I have already spoken to did not flinch at that.

It could be six months to who knows how long before I can get rolling on my own. The one thing that will play a big factor will be the cost of a bond, as I do not plan on having a piddly little $10k, not that I plan on it ever having to be used, but I want something bigger backing me up when I start out. I figure that having a higher bond would help show that I am taking things seriously. Any thoughts on my thinking there?

8. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Its not the Size of your bond its how you use it.:biggrin_2555::biggrin_25525:

Ahhhh! Come on. Now that thar was funny I don kair whoyar.

Tell me you weren't thinking the same thing.:biggrin_255:

9. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Who? Me? Never!!! Well, almost never.:biggrin_25525:

I'm a trucker, daughter of a trucker, and a metal head musician married to a metal head musician - does that give you a clue as to the sort of mind I have?:biggrin_25526:

I don't intend the bond to ever be used, but I have to have one, so

10. Highballin

Highballin Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    Even if you got a % of the demerge it would still be better than what they get now which is Zero most of the time. If you do what you say and can get loads you will have plenty of business unless whit you being honest scares them.And thanks about the aviator, its dirty but clean if you know what I mean,

11. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Some of the things I have read about what some of the brokers out there do, man I can see why O/O's don't like most of them! Hopefully the honesty won't scare too many of them. It may take some time for some to get use to, but I think it will stand me in good stead. I was hoping to find out things that would help set me apart from the crowd a bit, and it is almost scary how easy that may turn out be. I won't get ####y though. :biggrin_25512:

The 'dirty but clean' is what makes that avatar so funny! I love good humor, it helps one get through the day without completely going insane.:smt119

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.