What does 30k+ gross weight FEEL like?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Rocky64, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Rocky64

Rocky64 Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Greater Chattanooga
    In terms of Hot Shot work, when you are in a well maintained 3500/4500 series truck with stock-ish power and brakes while pulling a gooseneck flatbed or a wedge of 30+ feet in length and the braking system on the trailer works as designed....

and your gross combined weight is over 30k, evenly distributed or at least close enough....

How does the combination handle? Stopping, turning, accelerating... entering oddly graded entrances/exits.... just in general, how evident is it that you should probably be in something a little more heavy duty?

Does the tongue weight contribute greatly to how it feels? Like I have seen some wedge car trailer and 4500 series trucks scale 14k on the drive axle. Is that a crazy number or right in line with normal? If this particular wedge/truck still scaled 38k as it did this day with 14k on the drive, but only had 8k on the drive, would it be any better or worse handling?

I know this requires a very opinionated answer and everyone is different, but without offending the naysayers of hot shot work too much, please share your opinion and experience concerning hot shot over 30k gross weight.

I just want a good description of how it feels, is it like driving a wet noodle or is it still solid and planted, etc....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    30,000? Not much with a 18 wheeler. Actually too light sometimes depending on what's what. (Ice, rain etc) Even stopping as we are discussing in another thread.

Now throw in a large pickup truck dually? That 30K is going to be pretty heavy. You will know you are loaded when you try to get moving. It literally have a behavior and you better have good brakes, tires, steering etc etc etc. basically if you can have a gross combination vehicle weight rating of 30K and beyond towards the 40's you are good. If you try to do this with a 1/4 ton truck and it's GVWR is not sufficient, its going to break it. GVWR is on the plate on your door and in your owners manual.

30K is pretty heavy in a dually. But pretty light in a big truck that wants 80K or more.

Rocky64 Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm 19k lbs all the time in an F550 w/no trailer. Handles just like a pickup. As long as you leave proper following distances because the braking is not as good as a car, its all good.

Rocky64 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    It's really depends on how your equipment is spec'd out. Number of axles, positioning of axles, gearing, etc. we don't run tuners, or delete anything on our trucks, we're 100% stock from the factory. We run at and above 30k gross with some loads and our equipment handles it great, no issues. And as far as how it feels taking off, we can walk off and leave most semi trucks on a mountain grade.

51250974319__113F0C3D-A1AF-4342-B2AE-726148DFAB7D.JPG IMG_1727.JPG IMG_1533.JPG IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1838.JPG IMG_1864.JPG .

x1Heavy and Rocky64 Thank this.
  6. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Positioning of, and the types of freight can make a big difference also. I use to do a lot of oversized loads, heavy equipment, etc with my semi trucks. I remember moving loads that were top heavy side heavy. Oh man what a ride on some of those loads. Felt like you were gonna tip over just pulling out the Shippers driveway. And if you happen to get a piece of freight, or load that feels unsafe it may just be that they lied about the weight of it. If you don't feel comfortable going out the driveway tell them To unload it. A lot of drivers will risk pulling a load that doesn't feel safe because they don't want to lose out on the money that the load is paying. It's not worth the risk.

Don't be afraid to ask the Broker or Shipper for exact weight, and demensions of a piece of freight, or load before you commit. I even have them send me pictures before I'll commit a truck to odd load.

x1Heavy and Rocky64 Thank this.
  7. Rocky64

Rocky64 Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Greater Chattanooga
    I really appreciate the replies.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's difficult sometimes to smile and compliment you on loads well done with these rigs. I don't think that small. No offense. But I can tell when a load is riding correct and secured really good considering the challenges. Well done sir!

LloydToo and flatbedcarrier Thank this.
  9. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Haha, thanks. the Independent Owner Operators I work with, some are new to this business and some have experience. Regardless, with us building, and booking every load they haul, I personally advise them on load placement, and how to tie it down, if needed. Every Owner Operator I work with texts, or emails me a picture of the load after it's been tied down, and before it leaves the shipper. This way if I spot something wrong with load placement or securement I can talk to them about it and help them get it squared away before they hit the road.

Overweight tickets, damaged cargo claims are pretty much non existent within our group of Independent Hotshot Owner Operators.

10. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    30k gross really isn't much weight at all. My dually and trailer are close to 20k empty. I haul 15-20k on the trailer fairly regularly and it handles fine. I have electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer though. They help a lot.

11. Coguy

Coguy Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2016
    This last week I have hauled three loads between 32-35k. I have a 16 dually and electric trailer brakes on a Big Tex. The flats around Colorado feel fine just slower. Up and over Eisenhower and Vail pass you can definitely feel the weight accelerating and stopping. I will not do more thank 15k in cargo. For me it's not worth it.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.