What does it mean "to run it like a business" for a solo o/o?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Jul 26, 2021.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Simple but I like it...there's goals and profits dedication.. . also coherent with what I think as imperative, personal life and business separation, so difficult to establish when you're a solo. For instance, the very aspect of paying yourself as if you were a real driver is hard to overcome. I am so guilty of constant tapping to my dividends and not giving myself a deserved raise as a driver. But then again, can I really be an employer and a driver at the same time? Would I even want to work for an employer such as myself? Conflict of interests is inevitable. Running it like a business, requires adhering to the structure of the business.
    for instance;
    1. allocate money for maintenance account
    2. pay yourself a wage,
    3. amortize the truck and trailer - replacement account
    4. treat yourself as an employee (we talk about a solo o/o) and provide benefits.
    5. keep the books properly.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Ohhh c’mon man

86scotty Thanks this.
  4. cgilliland

cgilliland Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017

probably most people can't do 2.) and do the separation therein lies most of the problems
    its an "i want it now" world out there

5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    And one bad driver could lose it all for you.
    One bad mechanic, and one bad renter too.

Shadow57 Thanks this.
  6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Maybe the guys that say “It only costs me like a buck a mile to operate”. Or “long as my fuel is paid then I’m breaking even”.

These type of people are not treating it like a business. Treating it like a business means all expenses to operate without yourself doing the work must be accounted for.

John E. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    What if you are incapable to get more than 1 buck a mile but keep at it with hope to go through the rough waters and then still stay afloat? Is it not a sign of resolve and not giving up, or an automatic disqualification? I think that if it takes to go through 1 buck a mile times to be able get to 5 buck a mile times, it may be worth the pain - you can look at it as business perseverance. Of course, some have to do it not to lose it all, some others don't, they just wait out. Someone's disdain on a social media is not the criteria whether one should do it or not.
    Unless we assume, that inability to refuse 1 buck a mile is enough to say that it it cannot be a serious business.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I’m not necessarily saying how much one can get. I’m more talking about someone who doesn’t see things for what they are. Not knowing ones expenses down to the penny and not counting ones own time is not taking their business serious. Here’s why... if you get hurt or have a health problem, or God forbid die... can you or your wife put a driver in the truck, hire a mechanic when needed, run the truck like it normally runs, and the business at least be viable? How about very successful even?

If the answer is no then this person needs to reevaluate and treat it more like a business.

Rideandrepair and John E. Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Seeing ones own expenses is a prerequisite, just like ability to draw buildings with a coal before being admitted to study architecture. I look at it more as loss and damage mitigation. I do realize that if done too long, it is a path for an inevitable failure. BUT Loot at the April and May 2020...two month of struggling and perhaps shame but then the gate to bonanza got open. For many, it was well worth it to get to that end at whatever cost.
    I, personally, don't believe anyone serious can think of 1 dol a mile or even 1.75 per mile as a way to victory.

Rideandrepair and John E. Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    For Me, it simply means keeping the Business and personal separate. It’s hard to do from the git go. Since most Truck Loans need to be guaranteed personally. I don’t worry much about any of it. My Company makes what it makes. I make what I make. Not very complicated. No need to pretend I’m running a Big Business. Honestly running a paper route at 12 was harder. It would be more important, if I had plans to add Trucks. I’m happy if I’m making more than I would Working for someone else. The extra hassle is worth the Security I get by being in charge. Don’t like counting on others. That hasn’t ever worked out well for me. I’ve seen plenty of examples of both extremes. Family run Business’s rarely thrive, because of the Lack of Proffesionalism. I think it boils down to Self Discipline. Being honest, knowing the numbers, knowing when to quit.. Having said that, I’m running low on Self Discipline and Desire to keep Trucking. I swore I’d quit, if I ever lost the Enthusiasm. But it beats any alternative I see. And it’s what I know. And I’m pretty good at it. But after 35 yrs. I’ve finally had enough.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This is something that I would think is why I am successful doing what I am doing.

• Having solid goals
    • Policies to stick to a plan to achieving the goals
    • A strict discipline to create an organized company and work to keep it organized
    • And a lack of emotional business decisions
    oh and one thing that was told to me when I young by this guy my uncle and I met when we were at Ford taking a tour (rouge tour was so much better than now). He was a famous guy who was in the news (not a Ford) and he took us to lunch which was so cool at the time.

He explained he works at jobs to do what he enjoys what to do (like what George Clooney does but he wasn’t Clooney), he was paid to drive and enjoyed working and modifying cars as his real vocation.

I didn’t get it then but when I was out of university, I had to deal with suits that were so dedicated to the company and that was their lives. I wasn’t going to be like that, it would kill me.

So I made it a goal never just own a business to own me but own it so I can walk away from it any time to go do what I enjoy to do.

Badmon, stuckinthemud and TallJoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.