What does this box do? Detroit S60 14L 2008 bolted to intake manifold...

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rbrauns, Dec 11, 2019.

1. rbrauns

rbrauns Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Please see attached pic. What does this box do?

I'm thinking of converting my DDEC VI intake to a DDEC V one because the EGR on my truck has been modified and I want to keep everything looking stock. This box would have to go because it can't be bolted to the DDEC V intake manifold. What is this box.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    You want to keep it looking stock but you want to delete that box and put a ddec5 intake on it? Kinda defeating the purpose, no?

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  4. rbrauns

Dec 7, 2014
    Well. It's complicated. I live out in western Canada where every truck is deleted. BUT I'm going to doing flat deck work in the maritimes and out there, I'm told that nobody will work on a deleted truck. Furthermore, forget about ever getting a valid MVI.

So, I can spend $4,000 fixing the EGR including getting the software fixed OR I can bolt on a few DDEC 5 parts and keep everything looking stock for about $1,000.

If the box is gone, it will look stock.

Do you know what that box does?

5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I’m not sure if it’s even possible because compression ratios between the Ddec 5 and Ddec 6 is different, including sensors, locations and other crap like injectors, fuel map curves, turbo on Ddec 6 is a VGT and countless other things.

6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Ya not sure you can just start taking stuff off. Those ddec6 engines are super finicky. The ecm is setup on a hair trigger and check engine lights are a regular occurrence.

7. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    That is your doser valve. I have a ddec 6 as well. Worst engine ever. Horrible fuel mileage, even deleted. Give me my 6nz’s back over this pos any day of the week!

8. rbrauns

Dec 7, 2014
    OMG ! This is exactly the kind of information was I looking for. Doser valve.

I read a lot before making my purchase and everyone talked about how good the Detroit Series 60 engine were. Come to find out that my DDEC 6 engine is the worst one ever.

What kind of MPG were you getting and what kind of work were you doing with the DDEC 6 equipped truck?

9. aaronpeterbilt3787

Apr 2, 2016
    On winter fuel I’m only getting 4.5 to 5 mpg. It’s horrible. I’ve done everything. New everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. Heading back to diesel spec in Montreal on Tuesday to try and have it resolved. I only pull tandem dry box. 80000 gross. I’ve got friends pulling steel grossing 140000 gross getting better fuel mileage with DD15’s. It’s ridiculous. I’ll never buy another Detroit as long as I live.

10. rbrauns

Dec 7, 2014
    4.5 to 5 mpg. I hope that my engine gets at least 7. I'll go broke with that kind of mpg. Is that with the EGR modified?

11. aaronpeterbilt3787

Apr 2, 2016
    Egr dpf deleted. Diesel spec tune. I think their claims of increased mpg and power are bs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.