What else can I do with a CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Truckdrivingtrailerpuller, Jul 19, 2018.

1. AUfan78

AUfan78 Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Mobile, Alabama
    Welcome to road construction

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    You should never look at him as a role model. Lol

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    ^^^ THIS ^^^
    @Truckdrivingtrailerpuller

A CDL opens up a lot of opportunities. Think outside the box (dry van). Look around you as you drive and see how MANY different kinds of semi trailers are pulled by semi trucks.

Historically dry van earns the least $/mile. Any other trailer will make more money for the truck and they can afford to pay more money to you.

Tired of fighting city traffic? Tired of being disrespected? Switch to ANYTHING but dry van and you will likely earn more respect from your shippers and receivers. They WANT your services.

Want to stay out of the city for the most part? Haul for agriculture, construction, oil field, etc. You could drive tankers, bulk pneumatic, dump trucks, end dumps bottom dumps, side dumps, grain hauler, flatbed, step deck, etc.

Trucking has a LOT more to offer than being treated like a disease from a mouth breathing gate guard at a distribution center.

5. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Mixer truck.

I drive 50 miles in a 10 hour shift.

You’ll go some STUPID places though and will push your truck to its limit. Today I drove through the woods as someone cut down trees ahead of me with a chainsaw and a tractor drove in front me me with a packer and packed down the dirt. We had to make our own road and I still sunk to my axles but pulled through it ok.

You might like it, it’s not stressful. I get stuck all the time but it doesn’t matter because there is always some big equipment around to pull you out and sometimes you just gotta get pulled in to get to where you pour.

You bring a bunch of food to work and put it in the fridge and eat between loads.

As for traffic, who cares? You get paid by the hour. If you gotta pour or back up in traffic you always have people directing traffic or stopping it so cars are never in the way.

Our trucks aren’t small by any means mine has 6 axles and goes to 90k gross but that doesn’t mean you can’t park and get a burger. Def easier than a 53 ft truck.

I like it, it’s never boring, you meet some cool people and if you do residential stuff you get tips. Dude gave me 100 bucks cash today. We do 98% commercial/government projects but on saturdays the diyers come out...

You’re not really a “truck driver”. There is so much more to it and driving is such a small part of your day.

You’re also the hero when you show up, everyone gets the hell out of your way and let’s you pour. Unlike pulling a van trailer where people are mad they have to unload you and you sit all day waiting.

Where are you located?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. De Trucker

De Trucker Medium Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    You can use it to pick locks. Or crush cocaine.

7. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Drive for a company that has brown uniforms, if there are openings near you. I hear they're pretty neat. It's just like ltl, essentially.

8. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Don’t the have driver cameras and managers follow them and spy on them?

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  9. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    I suppose the managers spying on you is situational. I have heard of such things. But no cameras.

Fold_Moiler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.