What engine would you use if this was you?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mach, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Sup gang. So Im in a position where I have an opportunity to purchase a 1999 Freightliner FL60 with 18K miles for sub 20K. Truck looks brand new inside and out and is pretty legit. Shes a 4x2 24' box truck with an extended cab sleeper and a 20K lb drop axle. I wanted to buy a truck similar to this (though brand new) to throw a 28 foot flatbed on it and run around the 50,000 GVWR range. Right now this truck has the factory cummins with the spicer 6 speed. That cummins is a good motor, but I would never dare to be grossing 50K lbs and try to move that with 160hp and a 6 speed. So this is where you guys come in. What engine and trans combo would you use if you were to swap it all out? I was thinking about getting a Cat C10 and rebuilding it to a 350hp spec and throw a 10 or 13 speed eaton behind it. Any other suggestions? Ill be running the east coast mostly in regional runs so I need something with good torque to run the hills here. Fuel economy is so so. I dont expect to get anything wild with a boxy freightliner but I'd like to find an engine and trans combo that can maximize that. As of right now I do not know what the rear axle ratio is so I'm flying blind there until I find out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Which cummins does it have, I'm guessing 8.3?

4. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    M 11 Cummins with plain old 9 speed and if you get frustrated with the 9 convert it to a 13. Both are cheap easy to work on and more than enough power & torque for your application.

beastr123 and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  5. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Correct. She appears to be the base line cummins running at about 160 or 170 hp. Im not 100% certain on that tho as I cant remember what the engine plate said. (looked at the truck a few weeks back and forgot to nab a picture of that)

I dont have any experience with the M11. Hows parts in terms of availability? easy to fix? Ima do some looking into the M11 and see what I see.

6. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Find out for sure what version of the 8.3 it is. Some of them can be bumped up an extra 100 horses easily.

Coffey Thanks this.
  7. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    If its an 8.3L cummins they can be setup for around 300-350hp but it being an FL60 Im betting it will be a 5.9L. Biggest issue I see is cooling capacity of the radiator when upping the horses. I ran the ever living guts out of a 300hp 8.3L cummins in a T300 kw 3axle tanker truck pushing 55,000 pounds. She was a stout rig but Im not sure a FL60 is up to working that hard. Quick google search shows my FL60’s having the 5.9L cummins.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Fl60 at 50k?

Just look for an fl120.

Roberts450 Thanks this.
  9. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    I can do that but Id rather not bump the engine straight to its max. Running like that Id imagine will lead to issues down the road. And like someone else said, cooling will become an issue at the same time. then again, radiators can always be upgraded lol.

Yeah i looked online and saw both. Seeing that Im remembering a 160Hp, Im betting that its the 5.9. I was going with the 8.3 like I mentioned earlier but I honesty wasnt sure. I cant remember what the engine plate was. But 160Hp would be pretty low for an 8 litter diesel.

Nah. The small cab dimensions is perfect for me with a straight truck. Plus shes already sitting at 52K Gross rating as is. That and the low miles for the price tells me I need to look into this truck. Trust me I would love a full size rig like that but thats not the kind of equipment I need.

10. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    At 160 hp it’s possible it could be a 12 valve 5.9 Cummins which would blow your socks off. Could triple the horsepower for a few grand, and run for a million miles. At that point the transmission is the weak link. They used those in pickups until 1998, but it’s a chance. Could also be a 24 valve which can also be pumped up power wise reliably. I think 240 was minimum power available for the 8.3.

11. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    There are tons of parts available for it. The m 11 is the next generation of the old L 10 motors . After m 11 it became the ism. An m11 select can be set 280hp all the way up to a 400. I think they are some pretty tuff little motors. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.