What engine would you use if this was you?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mach, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    thats what was on it, and that served the purpose. I was hustling a lot of small stuff at the time.

At this point I’d go 28’. Ideally with a chameleon removeable tarp kit. Stay tandem likely, 20/46. On a w900l thats about a inch shy of the NY OAL limit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gotcha. so you stay with in state limits. I was hoping to stay local here in Tennessee and run even longer with the 45' law, but just not enough work (or at least customers) to make that possible.

4. Peterbilt_tuffrunner

Peterbilt_tuffrunner Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2020
  5. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    No, I run 6 states pretty regular, NY just happens to have a 40’ limit and that’s the shortest limit in my operating range.
    Plus if it needs more than 28’ I’ll just put it on a trailer.

6. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Something to consider: if you run a long hood conventional, getting enough weight on the steers will be a challenge if you put a bunk on in regards to maxing out your axle weights.

7. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    ah gotcha. I plan to get a trailer down the line but want to stick running as is.

8. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Basically heres the run down on my set up. Going with an international HV or Workstar. Shes going to be set up with as a 4x2 initially with a 23K lb air ride rear and 15,300 lb front on leafs. Then I will be setting it up as a tri axle configuration with a 8K lb lift-able steer axle both behind and in front of the drive. The rear axle is to axle help push the nose down should I get a ### heavy load. The drop axle in front of the drive is just for the extra capacity. over all that gives me a 54,300 GVWR and about a 20 ton payload if the weight works out even. I don't plan to run that heavy all the time but the idea is that its set up to do it should I need to. Most likely ill be running with about 12 to 15 ton payloads.

I have debated going to a tandem axle setup but Im trying to save a bit on fuel and tires by have as few tires on the ground when I can. plus the 2 drops allow me to "shift" the weight if I get some weird loads.

9. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Well you do what you think is best. I’ve worked out scenarios like that. I’d bet you find that you don’t save much with two steerable pushers vs a live tandem.
    I got 10mpg pretty easy with a 15 liter motor. N I don’t drive for mpg. Also, that first time you get hung up somewhere with the 1 of 4 axles spinning and the rest can’t do anything about it will be maddening.

Do what you think is best for your situation.
    If you don’t already have regular customers with good paying work for it, I expect you’ll find this is all an exercise in how to build a truck with very limited resale value.
    When I bought my Pete, the dealer let on they’d been setting on it for years.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  10. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    trust me that is a legitimate concern especially with having them both in front and behind the drive. My way to combat that is to use hendricksons low profile and low weight drops. plus they use the smaller 18.5" 5 lugs giving a bit more clearance over a 22.5. But its still a concern and that is why Im keeping in consideration a tandem. I suppose I could do a 6x2 with a mid lift. and maybe a single drop in the center. I like to stay closer to the 20t capacity so a drop is going to be necessary. Running a small package means you need to be able to handle as much as you can with the limited weight. That means if there's a coil that needs moved, I want to still be able to do it. (god a full coil on a straight truck would be sketchy as hell now that I think about it hahaha).

in your experience tho, how often have you came to a place tho where you could legitimately get hung up on something? Ive ran 6 axle dumps for a long time and most of the time if I came to a spot that could beach me, there's a way around it. I ask because I haven't gotten to run many loads out and about yet in my life time. Ive always been local and know exactly what I'm getting into.

11. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Well, jobsites can be wonky. And when you have a lot of length, and not a lot of powered wheels...

Not saying it can’t be done. what you save on tires n fuel can be washed off pretty quick with a tow bill. Imo

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.