What engine would you use if this was you?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mach, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    true fact. Nothing is final and can change so who knows. I would like to have the drive axle be closer to the rear but I dont want to have a turning radius of a football field. right now Im set at a 307" wheel base but that leaves a whooping 12 feet of rear over hang. So regardless Im thinking im gonna have to get that back another few feet

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Great looking Slab cab Matt. 10 thumbs up!
    There is a steel supply co. down here that had dozens of those in use up to maybe 10 yrs. ago. They are running short conventionals now. I don't know were they went (probably ‘ol Mex unfortunately) and haven’t seen any of them just sitting in a yard somewhere for a great parts source.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  4. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I get hotels and will go anywhere anytime when the money is proper.

My record is 900 miles to Bangor, ME.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just remember that adding a lift axle doesn't give you full capacity unless it is place in the right spot. Bridge law formulas will limit the legal capacity much less than 54k so you may have to move the axle up or down the frame to find where it gives you the most capacity.

6. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    I've already done the math on various configurations and found the sweet spot. Technically since I'm using low weight axles (8k lb capacity) and have them spaced right by the next, I can use the full capacity.

Example. Tandem is 34k per bridge law, even though you could have two individual axles rated for 20k or 40k together. In this case if I were to place a drop right in front or behind a drive axle to make a "tandem" I would still only total in 28k lb capacity which is under 34. Same would apply in a tri axle config. If I was running a 15k or 20k drop, then the maximum spacing would have to be 8 feet from the next axle to be able to utilize the full capacity.

I'm 99% sure that's how that works lol. Technically tho at my configureation that I have built, bridge law formula places my truck at 40' with 4 axles in the 64k lb range. So I'm well with in the limits in terms of length

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Good. I've seen a few trucks that were useless because they just stuck a lift axle on it and expected to be used at max capacity,

8. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Yuppers. There's places you can get away with it for intrastate travel and such but technically illegal on federal roads. Tennessee is like that with our dump trucks. We can run a quad axle at 80k and be legal but as soon as we touch federal highways, we only legal for 62k or some ####. Luckily the troopers don't bother us unless you are being stupid. Just gotta dodge the scales.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Your getting a good price, on Truck, it has low mileage. I would bump it up, run it as long as I could. Get your moneys worth. Then decide, rebuild, replace, or different Truck altogether. By then you may have a whole different idea, of what Truck/ combination You want. Run what you got. Make some $$$ with it first.

10. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    How’s this for a lift axle truck?

9331333B-7932-4B13-BFF1-61C64D0D5FCC.jpeg

Mach, Ruthless and SmallPackage Thank this.
  11. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Can't be over weight on the steers if they never touch the ground. Big brain time.

But seriously I love it. Weird setups like that is what I like

Shawn2130 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.