What ever happend to the ole days

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by me only, Nov 20, 2011.

1. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    You may be right. It's sad to think that, as I would hope things improve, but I don't see it happening.

volvodriver01 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    Things change...Sometimes they suck!

But I'm still truckin' "my way" and in my world these are pretty much still the "good old days"! New rules, New regulations....Same old truckin' spirit that I've always had.
    I aint into "misery"....I approach almost everything with a sense of humor and can even get some of these sourpuss cops laughin' from time to time!

Regardless what anyone says....It usually is what you make it!

Meltom Thanks this.
  4. stranger

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    I enjoyed my last stint a couple of years ago. Yes I had Qualcomm, dedicated fuel stops, delivery appointments for team operation which were close, not extremely tight. but close, But, I had a good time, even with the new crap of having orientation, pee test, logs that match, ect. I was lucky, and always have been for some reason. I have only had one full inspection back in 1985. My logs have only been checked maybe five times in 35 years, and usually I got a bypass or a wave through.

There is just such a mass of new regs and paperwork, combined with all cops after trucks, I'm not sure I want to get back out or not. Of course, cops have always been after trucks, but the stakes are much higher now.

I still miss the days of being told which truck to take, and hitting the road, that being the extent of the paperwork involved in a pre-hire.

5. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I miss those days as well...But I love this #### too much to ever want to stop!
    I'd miss hearing those tires singin' and the feel of the wheel.

volvodriver01 and Meltom Thank this.
  6. stranger

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    If I didn't want to be home with my wife every night, love seeing my grandchildren on the weekends, and had a little better health, I wouldn't mind being back out again, on my own terms.

I still would consider the right opportunity. Maybe a local dedicated or part time gig. I had hoped I was through, but it never leaves you. I guess the tipping point is when the BS outweighs the fun.

7. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Good point!

old-school Thanks this.
  8. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    Y'all make it sound like every newbie is responsible for this so called "circus". It must have been nice to get hired back in the day and immediately know all there is to know about trucking and the rules of the road. How many mistakes did you old timers make when you were a rookie? You dont talk about that because youre too proud and dont want us new breed to think that you werent a green rookie at one point...does that sound about right? (probally, but I doubt you'll admit it lol)

We're not buying it, so keep on pointing the finger at us blaming us for the state of this industry. You dont think the past has something to do with it? How 'bout all the cowboys that ran 100 hours a week(one of those cowboys is in this thread and loves to tell the rooks that we dont know what we're doin). The present day is always gonna be a victim of its past.

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I remember when the CDL came into effect my boss that moved from TX to MA was very upset he'd have to give up his TX license to have a MA CDL . Before CDL's MA required out of state drivers employed in MA to have a MA Class 1 license to operate semi's and Class 2 to operate straight trucks over 26,000 lbs. GVWR .

10. snowblind

snowblind Heavy Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    conover nc
    no i wasn't born knowing anything about trucking i learned it the same as everyone else,but i know what i see on the road,i made lots of mistakes......what you new people who blame us for everything dont understand is there were rules back then nobody including dot,cops really enforced them so we DONT need anymore.you keep thinking the govt will make it so you can make more money..dream on

volvodriver01 Thanks this.
  11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Just about as bad as someone like you thinking that all of the new drivers want the government involved in this.

The pattern shows that there were many drivers in the past that clearly did not comply with the laws and as such led them to come up with ways of trying to correct this.

This is also the result of many of the companies who pushed the drivers to make this choice.

Not all of the older drivers were this way. Not all of the new drivers want the government involved.

If all of the older past drivers had complied with the laws, there would not have been a need for the government to get involved.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.