What exactly is the steer axle weight limit?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1nonly, Apr 26, 2010.

1. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Mine is 14,600 lbs (tire rating which is lowest rates component). I had 14,500 on it today completely legal. I m sure I'm over 12k empty on my steers.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    If you are driving a semi you should know weight limits. Period end. Better know how to stay legal or it will cost you dearly. You are supposed to be a professional driver which means knowing the laws governing you. If you can't handle that you night want to find a new profession.

Super trucker out.

TripleSix and ChaoSS Thank this.
  4. ncstang

ncstang Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2016
    NC
    Absolutely. And if you read the OPs post, he/she learned one weight limit in school, but then heard there are other weight limits depending on location or freight variety or whatever. So, he/she was confused and asked for some clarification.

So please Super Trucker, don't leave us without telling us the official weight limits that everyone should know.

5. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Depends on the specs of the particular truck and trailer combination you are driving there good buddy.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  6. ncstang

ncstang Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2016
    NC
    Awesome. Thank you for sharing.

7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The problem is the number of people who don't know, and instead of looking things just continue to spout off every misinformed statement they've ever heard on the subject.

ramblingman Thanks this.
  8. ncstang

ncstang Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2016
    NC
    Very true. After reading through this thread, I would be more confused than if I had never read it.
    So, how about if someone pastes a url to another thread or a website that has a break down of different weight limits. Or if it is truly that diverse and the info is not compiled in one place, then say that.

I agree that there are too many back seat drivers, if you will, that would be of better service by not saying anything at all. As opposed to pointing out that soo many people don't have a clue.

I see a perfect opportunity here to help "the community" by compiling this information into a thread on this forum, or maybe onto a website that can be referenced in threads like this one.

I have been in IT for quite a while and back when I first started, one the most frequent phrases I heard and said was "RTFM". If you don't know google it. That is actually what people should do, look it up. Do a search on this forum, for axle weight limits. You will probably find the info. If not, then submit a post asking for the info. And in the case that someone posts a question that has already been answered, then simply reply with "Do a search", or maybe be really really super nice and paste the link to the thread with the answer.

But simply saying that you can't believe how stupid people are isn't helping anyone. I get frustrated at ignorance too, I'm not perfect, but if we all just take a breath and help each other we will be much better off.

9. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Generally, I've found people who spout off at the mouth like that don't know either! As far as steer axle weight limits, a good resource is the chart in the front of the Rand McNally truckers atlas. There are so many different rules. Almost every state is different. Some allow 650 lbs per inch of tire width, some allow 600 per inch, some its 12000 without permits, and some its 20,000. For an average OTR truck, most guys just figure it at 12,000. That's a weight that's close enough to keep you out of trouble pretty much everywhere.

ZVar and ncstang Thank this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And those are only the state rules. Then you have the actual physical limits of the truck. Tire weight ratings and axle ratings have to be known, and the real answer is whichever one is the lowest number.

-Steven

Hammer166, MrEd, crb and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I'd love to see you get my truck below 12,000 lbs on steers. :) oh an I'm not permitted and crossed the scales no problem

Not everything is 53' van world with closed tandems.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    ramblingman and Hammer166 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.