What happened to smoke stacks?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lucy in the Sky, Mar 13, 2018.

1. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    How much did it cost to do all that?

Any check engine lights now?

I was talking with our mechanic about doing that and he says it
    would be pretty expensive, and if we don't do it right we might get
    fault codes all the time.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rulonwaholla

rulonwaholla Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2013
    if you ever come up here too NJ i take you too my mechanic it cost me 4k. no check engine light nothing. guy is real good thas all he does. all my friends did it too their volvo’s they got tired of being down. ones you do it your truck performance will get alot better

4. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    It is all about fuel economy. Plain and simple truth. Exhaust back pressure has nothing to do with it because after the aftertreatment there is very little back pressure compared to what is in front of it.

5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Had a friend ( RIP Trent ) that started out with JBH back in the 80's, they ran those 55 mph setback axle Internationals. Hardly ever seen him, and when I did he looked like hell! He was a dedicated type man not some piss and moan slouch like many were and are. I was doing my own thing and home every weekend, but I too have spent many days out there. Have to tip my hat to those who do it year in and year out, it's a life but not my style life. We all do what we feel we need to I guess lol.

SAR Thanks this.
  6. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    The idjits with the 8 inch pipe sticking up out of the hood is worse. All I can think is "dude if it rains hard while you're parked you're gonna have an engine full of water."

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Only thing I've I've seen with a big pipe straight out of the hood is a murder and them engines don't last real long anyhow

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Rumor has it just getting that cleaned can cost a fortune.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  9. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    I see a bunch of pickup trucks out here in Ohio with a short fat stack sticking up out of the hood and rolling coal right into the driver's face. I never claimed that my fellow Ohioans were all that smart.

RustyBolt Thanks this.
  10. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Freind of mine got tired of those goofy turbos needing replaced at $4500 a pop on his ISX. Took it up around Akron, OH and they peeled the bark off of it. Plain style turbo now. About $6500 from what I heard, he brought back a pallet load of junk they took off. Just keep in mind.... talk of deleting any of the emissions is actually taboo around here.

spyder7723 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.