What happened to smoke stacks?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lucy in the Sky, Mar 13, 2018.

1. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    It's not the look I'd be going for.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's a beautiful truck. I've seen bedbuggers with weed burners like that and the trucks look great.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Like this one?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    That's a kit that is made in Nashville,TN

5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    That's because it was 475 horse at something like 2100 RPM. I would guess you were shifting in the 1600 RPM range. Therefore, you never saw 475 hp.

6. WildTxn

WildTxn Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    I wouldn't get very worried over that. Those are only class 7 trucks from what I've seen. There will be no way to replace the energy density of diesel for hauling full class 8 loads for at least 20 years, if then. Just think, the weight of a modern diesel engine and fuel tanks v. the weight of an equivalent HP electric motor plus a HUGE HUGE bank of batteries! No comparison! You will be limited to at least 15,000 lbs less freight w. only 500 mile range before recharge. The recharge will eat even more HOS time.

Now,... the grid only has 35% max efficiency from fuel burned at the gen plant to delivering the juice to the charge stations. In battery charging you loose another 15% efficiency. The motor and electronics will cost another 20% efficiency. A modern diesel engine can get nearly 40% efficiency burning the fuel directly. Just where do they think the energy to make all of that electricity is going to come from? And what kind of pollution it will make in attempting to save the lesser amount the diesel engines would make directly? Same scenario goes for all of the hydrogen powered car utopia BS. God forbid all of those formerly anti-nuclear tree hugger's are going to have to rely on the even more greedy nuclear industry to get rid of the greedy oil industry. Reminds me of a bunch of early grade school kids.

Again, all those tree hugger snowflakes are shooting themselves in the foot with their stupidity.

And those so called autonomous trucks.. LOL I can just see the result of one trying to back into a dock at some of those Family Dollar stores. People fleeing for their lives like in an old Zilla movie. WHEN GPS finally gets to a state where it never makes mistakes (RLOL), we can maybe worry a little bit. Don't see that happening any time soon.

I personally liked the movies about the giant Tarantulas supposedly created from all the nuke test fallout in the 50's. LOL

Meteorgray, LateNightCable and Dan.S Thank this.
  7. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    The autonomous thing I agree with you on. That's a few years away. And still very unlikely.

But the electric truck is coming, and fast. There's still bugs being worked out, but they will figure it out. I think once UPS has some on the road (they've ordered some already), attitudes will change about them. I think they will drastically change how trucking gets done in this country. We've already seen the bigger companies focusing more on regional and local. Electric trucks fit into that model rather well.

I'm not saying electric trucks will replace all diesels. But it's definitely going to make a dent in the diesel engine market.

And for the record, once I'm told to drive one, I will be burning my CDL. I won't be seen in something so ugly.

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  8. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    You park in Ritzville Wa last night?

9. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Rolling coal is just wasting your fuel money

10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    A decent oil bypass filter solves the soot problem.

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Try talking to a guy that knows how to drive that old pete or freightliner. My old square truck averages over 7 mpg. So 1 mpg less than your 2018. Any fuel savings i would gain would be eliminated with higher maintenance costs when the emissions system starts acting up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.