What happens if I get pulled over and I haven't updated my address on my license?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Just tell him no you are still moving your stuff to your new address at __________ address and will have it updated once you get a power bill in your name so dmv will change it

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    A dot I knew pretty well in NM ask me how long I had been back from Alaska, I told him just got back a couple of days ago. He knew I had been back a few moinths, but said that is a good answer. lol
    My first Alaska license never had a currant address on it, IMy license was expiring the first trip I ever made to Alaska, so I just gave them a ficticious address and got an Ak one. lol

Rideandrepair and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    If you you OTR truck driver, well, your current address is your truck, everything else its more like a vacation house :)

5. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Just tell on yourself and let the marshals come collect you.

free helicopter ride to the pentagon.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Failure to have your CDL updated to a proper address of your actual residence will probably if in NY State lead to a following cascade of problems. ALL 50 states at one time or another DO communicate with each other. So if so and so's CDL is not valid, suspended, revoked etc all of that filters down to you. (And your employer etc) You do NOT want to be with a Tractor Trailer on a suspended CDL or revoked one. They will impound that truck, load and arrest you.

Your incorrect address will eventually be discovered. Then suspended. Your home state will be notified and then they will fail to issue you a valid license until you go back to the suspending state and clear that up. (Fine etc misdemeanors)

Your incorrect address will lead to a failure of you getting that suspension letter. you will miss a suspension order and may be charged with operating an unregistered vehicle and/or aggravated unlicensed operation, both misdemeanors

Your insurance will be tossed on the vehicle. It then becomes a uninsured vehicle. Towed and impounded on the spot when and if you are pulled over for anything. That becomes it's own set of problems.

Also as a side note (Actually happened to me) failure to turn in vehicle tags when demanded by the home state, as it happened to me while I spent that year running around in trucking without that vehicle in my possession, the state of Maryland demanded that I find those tags (Two of them) turn them in in 7 days or be charged with a 9000 dollar fine for not surrendering tags on a invalid vehicle and face a huge escalating fine schedule per day against me with interest and past fees tacked on. It would become 20,000 dollars, 30,000 and so on. Something that is potentially arrest-able while they revoke everything including the CDL to enforce collections. I took care of that tag problem and the DMV decided to "Sell" the vehicle to the new owners due to no title on record for that 9000 dollar fine amount. So Im square with DMV and the new owners now had a problem. They need a title made. And they need to get insurance and new tags and registration now that the entire existing papers on that vehicle is invalid to them. It's a royal mess. But they own it so... its their problem.

Your best bet is go and get that CDL updated with the new address asap.

A new problem for you.

2020 real ID Act. You will bring papers to prove your current residence, and prove a number of other facts at the DMV. Once these are accepted then you will be issued the 2020 License good for 8 years I think. CDL's are a bit beyond regular car licensing in necessary proof of everything who you are.

If you do not do this or cannot or refuse to do so by October 1 2020 the TSA will DENY YOU boarding any plane. Even domestic. You will be a second class citizen banned from all flying. You will not gain access to any court house. You will definitely not be allowed onto Military and federal bases and buildings like the VA. That will be denied to you. Canada will certainly refuse you at the border and tell you turn that thing and get off my border back to the USA. Your company might get angry enough to fire you. Without a valid license you cannot prove your ID for unemployement etc. Also your personal bank at home will refuse any business with you in checking accounts until you give to them to be scanned a valid license car or CDL.

I just updated my bank with the real 2020 license when I replaced my expired license a few weeks ago. The teller demanded a updated license two days ago and I was able to hand it over and they were able to continue my checking account under Federal Laws. Otherwise it will have been closed and I would be given a check for the balance regardless of current auto drafts etc. All of that will need to be changed over to the new account Asap to avoid late fees, bouncing check fees (And jailing for hot checks in my state, if you wrote a 10 dollar check that is no good, they arrest and jail you for a week or so until arrangements can be made with the Judge what to do with that problem plus fines, penalties and court fees well in excess of that stupid 10.00 check...)

It's just a address. No big deal right?

HA.... it's your life. I would fix that address asap.

7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    All that when all a guy has to say is don't tell them. Unless the dot personally knows you, he doesn't have a clue where you live.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would not know. I have not been near a DOT man for over 20 years now. And we do have a few running around here issuing citations for weights, out of class licenses against hotshots and so on. Vilonia has a bridge that is common for DOT to pull over for inspections.

I might be able to find a DOT and ask him regarding addresses on licenses during inspections. God knows they learn everything else in a intense inspection.

9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I promise you the dots, the cops nor the dmv knows where you live unless you are local and drive by the same cop every day for a few months, like I did in Texas with NM tags. he finally pulled me over and just gave me a ticket for NO license or tags. lol
    I was in a pickup, not in a truck running otr. lol

10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I got pulled into Nevada DOT yesterday for a level 1 inspection. I passed with flying colors, but I felt the need to clear my conscious and tell him I ripped the tag off my mattress last week, even though it clearly said do not remove under penalty of law. He let me off with a warning.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Pretty simple....

“Are you still at this address?”

“Yep”

Problem solved.

12. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    From experience... the officer follows up by asking for your new address. It's actually pretty anticlimactic. This was dealing with CHP, mind you... probably helped that I added a snide comment about WA not bothering to issue a new ID when I updated my address at the DOL

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.