What happens if I go over 14 hours?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by FrogPaste, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Movingismylifeilovemoving

Movingismylifeilovemoving Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2015
    I'd be surprised if you could fix it by logging a split sleeper

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Movingismylifeilovemoving

Movingismylifeilovemoving Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Can you edit some of your pretrip back to off duty so your 14 is extended?

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. ChargeLLB

ChargeLLB Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2023
    I always log out when inbetween stops on PC. Screwed up a 34 once making a trip to Walmart. Never again. Now if I forget about pc my Elog complains to me that I'm not signed in when I turn on the truck.

6. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    If the truck stop had paid Parking spots available that would of been the simplest solution.

7. Mnmover99

Mnmover99 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    Just explain what happened. I messed up and I learned a lesson. Those remarks may help you not get a violation.

8. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Always “on duty” for fuel regardless..this is the most serious as you can get a falsified log spanking.
    When you got kicked off PC and put on driving you should have edited it with a note explaining the error.. “ELD malfunction, supposed to be PC”
    Once safely shut down for your break take a complete 10 hours break.

Nothing your company can do, so just edit your duty status for the fueling and note the driving time malfunction. You can edit a driving time status but only for adding a note.

Lastly, just drive under the radar for the next 8 days..no speeding etc :)

9. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    I guess it’s just me
    But y’all seem to make way to big a deal over this stuff....

10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Many years ago one of my trainees was rushing to get a load picked up on time and then into one of our drop lots for his dot break. There was construction on the road and he needed to turn into a adjacent customer and cut across their lot, but signage was poor/non-existent. He got to our driveway and couldn't make the turn. He continued up the road until he found a lot to get turned around in. As he was finishing his turn back onto the road he was rear ended. The officer doing the accident investigation cited him for being outside the HOS, despite the fact that he had 3 minutes left on his 14 when the incident occurred and he was 1/2 mile from our lot. The court upheld the HOS violation, which made the accident entirely his fault.

Argument was "driver would not have had time to get to safe/legal, thus should not have attempted to pick up the load". DA was using it as part of his "reckless endangerment" and "grievous bodily harm" charge. Judge let it stay in. Without the 14 hour rule violation, the DA didn't have a case, with it he has a slam dunk and pleading out becomes the safest course of action.

Phil was not guilty of anything except some poor choices and inefficient shifting. At worst it should have been a no fault accident, but the DA decided to throw the book at him and the judge allowed it. Once the judge did that, the company settled fast and hard with the other party on the civil suit and Phil's best choice financially was to take a plea deal. From an ethical perspective he should have fought it to the bitter end, but what would you do when facing 10 years in jail?

This is why I make a big deal out of situations like this. It's dumb and meaningless until all of a sudden it's not.

11. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    That's, like, completely speculative. What BS. If you're comfortable sharing, what was the jurisdiction where this case played out?

12. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Please do not take this personal
    But first off ifn he was against his 14
    It Wasn’t Many years ago
    Cuz 14 ain’t been around Many years in a lot of our eyes....
    Second and most importantly..,This whole scenario hasn’t a #### thing to do with HOS
    It has Everything to do with a Bad decision
    As he was “finishing the turn...he got Rearended”
    IE...,he pulled out in front of someone or something along those lines....
    Find a better place to turn around..,or be patient and Wait until you’re absolutely certain you can get out.,..
    And frankly since he was rearended.....Which is almost always and instantly charged to the rear vehicle
    I’m having trouble buying that part as well

13. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If he was really there for 3 hours and at least 2 of those hours were off duty or in the sleeper then he shouldn’t have gotten a 14 hour violation because the short break would’ve paused the 14.

• Truckers Report Jobs