What happens if I go over 14 hours?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by FrogPaste, Feb 7, 2023.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Marian, OH.

The whole thing was absolute BS.

Savor the Flavor Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    The 14 has been around for 19 years. This incident happened 9.5 years ago.

And I agree it has everything to do with bad decisions. The first bad decision was trying to pick up the load when he was told by dispatch "hey, we know you're not going to make this pick up on time, just let us know when you'll be there" and me telling him "no, you don't have time to get through that shipper and get to safe and legal, pick it up tomorrow".

Where he turned around was fine. The trailer was straight or almost straight in the lane (disposable camera picture becaue Phil didnt have smart phone) when he was hit - no different than if he came to a stop. Skid marks from the vehicle that hit him indicated the other driver was speeding and didn't get on the brakes until long after they should have. It should have been at worst a no fault accident.

Phil's next bad decision was how he chose his words when talking to the accident investigator. Phil was more than a little distraught and didn't think before he spoke and chose some really bad words (rushing, been up all day, etc).

Personally, I think the accident investigator also misread Phills log book and just saw the negative 14 hour clock up top, looked at when Phil started his day (say 0500 CDT), at what time the accident happened (2057 EDT) and assumed a violation occurred when it didn't and then the whole house of cards got built upon it.

But if you don't like that scenario, how about this one - trainee driving, trainer in the right hand seat on I 94 west, just north of Kenosha. They're in slow moving traffic (15-20 mph) in a construction zone moving at the speed of traffic in the right hand lane. Woman in a pov hits them. They move onto the shoulder. Woman gets out of her car and wanders into lane number 2, gets hit and dies.

There is no way that our truck is anyway at fault. Dash cams show they were in their lane, maintaining a safe distance, and had no control or influence over the crash. So why was the truck weighed by both dot and the family's lawyer after it was impounded? Why was neither driver allowed to take ANYTHING from the cab except their wallets and the clothes on their back? The family's lawyer was looking for any little thing he could use to make the truck at fault.

Or we could look at Werner's nuclear verdict from a few years ago - driver did nothing wrong and frankly did a #### good job minting control when he was hit, but the lawyer got Werners training reputation in front of the jury and it became their fault.

4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Don't the US Marshalls get involved at this point?
    i understand they have a special squad that is deployed to terminate drivers who break the HOS regulations.

‘Olhand Thanks this.
  5. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    No, you call the US Marshall when you need to run your tandems over an illegally parked car.

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  6. Nick209

Nick209 Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2022
    Just use a manual version. Way easier to lie.

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
  8. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    Screwed up my 34. What’s my options??
    Left my truck on Saturday at a friends house and got back in it last night. I decided to run to Walmart to get groceries for the week and didn’t realize I only had 33.5 hrs off duty not 34. So do I have any options besides taking another 34 or just running??

9. HighWayMan501

HighWayMan501 Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2022

10. HighWayMan501

HighWayMan501 Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2022
    Well, you have a fresh 11 and 14, and you should have accumulated at least a couple days worth of recaps. So you can run on that.

As for the 34 hour reset, if you activated your drive line, then all you can do is weep. (And wait for enough time to pass, when you can laugh about it.)

Phoenix Heavy Haul Thanks this.
  11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Only thing is if you haven't certified your logs from the last day you worked. And you have 31 minutes on duty not driving that you can change to off duty. I did that once and the People Net gave me my 34 back. Otherwise, oh well.

Phoenix Heavy Haul and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.