what happens if i turn my truck in.

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by DragonHalo99, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Problem solved, then.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GabeScott

GabeScott Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Their QC is set up to capture "Speed Events". Anytime they go over a certain speed it sends a note to safety. Doesn't matter how long they where over that speed. Knight's is set at 69mph. Pride's is set at 85mph. Those are the two I know for sure.

4. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Lets see if I got this straight. You're pulling a Swift trailer, loaded with freight that Swift is responsible for, while your tractor is wearing Swifts name and dot numbers. Despite these facts you dont think they should have any say in your speed....hmmm.

You're under contract. You have an obligation to meet the requirements of that contract. It doesn't matter if you're driving a lease truck or one you own. It doesn't matter what line of work you're in. You sign a contract, you agree follow its requirements.

Stile Thanks this.
  5. JChors

JChors Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Newport, OR
    This is why no one with less than 2-3 years OTR experience should be allowed to lease a truck. Companies that drum up the hopes of FNG's to be "Independent Contractors" three months out of school are doing these folks no favor. You should cut your teeth as a Company Driver, make your mistakes, absorb as much as you can in that time, and then maybe you're ready to step up from High School ball to College ball. I would estimate 85% of today's drivers don't have the business aptitude to succeed as a Lease Operator, and even fewer could make it to the NFL as an Owner Operator.

Foxcover and KeithT1967 Thank this.
  6. Gordon A

Gordon A Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    NEVER NEVER go for the LP. You pay all expenses and the company gets the benefits. If you just can't say no to the snake oil salesmen there ask for 2 things to be in the contract..
    1. I want a walk away clause in the contract with no financial penalty.

2. I want to be able to take the truck some place else to lease on and still make my payments to you.

If they agree no problem. , if not RUN AWAY and stay company driver with your eye on going elsewhere. Not all carriers are alike . Not all are good.

7. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Was waiting to see who would be the next anti-lp crusader trying to save us all would be.

GabeScott Thanks this.
  8. Gordon A

Gordon A Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    With 45 years behind the wheel I do know a little about the trucking industry and how it works and how new drivers with a strong desire to truck can be screwed royally.
    The LP is first, to get the freight delivered cheaply, it is to pay off a truck several times .A very few drivers ever pay it off. Maybe 3 out of a hundred manage to.
    Fewer even read the small print and the balloon payment at end of lease can be the breaker. Can you afford $ 10 to $20 grand balloon payment at end of lease? Doubtful. LP relieves the carrier of maintenance and up keep issues. and the biggest plus deal for them is they can get that truck paid for several times most generally.. A plus for them not so plus for the driver. An LP benefits the carrier only. Not the drivers. Want to own a truck?. Go elsewhere and buy it, then lease it on where you want.

stayinback and Foxcover Thank this.
  9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il

eggs- ackley

10. hthammond

hthammond Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Sultan, Wa
    I am a swift O/O here resently i ran into same thing! I got 5 day suspension! so i called Rapid Responce Here what they had to say: If im terminated or decide to quit that the lease will go to default and that I would owe only the money for any owed up to that point. I hope this helps you

11. hthammond

hthammond Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Sultan, Wa
    You still drive for them Right? If your still driving for them and they sending you messages over qualcom or calling you dearing your 10 hr break all you have to do to stop this is send them a message over the qualcom and telling them that For safety reasons they need to stop do to lack of sleep they are causing you making it unsafe to drive the next day.

I hope this helps

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.