What I did to get ice cold air in my ProStar

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Justrucking2, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    If you have a ProStar, you know the problems. If you have not experienced this, you are lucky. This is what I found messing with mine for several YEARS. Yes, years, replaced everything multiple times, but last year I did something that has everything working, finally. Then I stumbled upon something else that has it making snow in the cab.

There is an "Ambient Air Temperature" sensor that you need to find. This sensor is the one that reads the outdoor temperature, if like my truck, it reads all over the map. If 60* outside, it will read 100*, -20* it will read 40* and so on. This temp sensor controls more than just that thermometer in the cab, it is also tied into your AC system.

Mine was located in the wiring harness on the driver side. This is the harness that has your headlamp wiring in it. It is located under the radiator under twenty yards of tape and split loom. Dig that thing out, pull the wiring out as far as you can. There is a clip on this sensor, you may have to splice in more wiring to place it where it needs to be. I clipped mine up on the plastic windshield wiper cowl above the door hinge on the driver side of the truck. Since doing so, the AC has worked.

Now, what I found to get the AC below 40* F was to drain the AC system, vacuum it down, and replace the R134A with straight R134A, NO DYE! That dye just messes up that system, since removing the dye, the AC now makes ice cubes.

This is a simple fix, dig out that sensor and install straight R134A refrigerant. It beats throwing parts at this system and it fixed my years of issues.

Also, make sure your valve to the heater core, that one under the hood controlling coolant flow to the heater core is turned off. Especially if you are running in areas with high temps, like down south. This is such a crappy design, this AC system, that many of us have installed a solenoid to turn the heater core water on and off inside the cab. Wire this selonoid in and install in line where the shut off valve is. If you do not have a shut off valve, this will go on the heater core input heater hose. Wire this to a switch in the dash. That way, when the AC is freezing you out, say like at night when things cool off, you can flip a switch instead of stopping, opening the hood and turning on that valve to get some heat in the cab.

Here is the solenoid https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2WZ35V/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I have way too much ice cold air. Vents closed, fan on lowest speed and thermostat in the middle. Blows like a hurricane. Stupid truck.

4. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Lucky guy!

5. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    If I were lucky I would be in a KW or Volvo.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I don't know, I have more than a few friends with both, their problems dwarf mine in regards to the body. I'll stick with my very well known quantity, the ProStar. They are no better or worse than the other guys, an EPA truck is an EPA truck, no matter whose badge it wears.

7. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I just believe a KW is laid out better. Great dash and better mirror design. I got 8.1 with a KW with the Eaton just like the one I have. This thing only gets 7.2. Could be the engine difference. Gearing seems the same.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  8. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Do you have a turbo and an EGT (Pyrometer) gauge? And I am assuming a Cummins. Where are you running it going down the road? The best fuel economy for these motors is right at 1650 rpm. And have you done an EGR tuneup? How about the emissions, still on?

9. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    As far as I recall the ISX is most efficient around 1450.

10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Nope, I used to think the same... 1650 is the magic number. I just in framed mine, and have been driving it at that 1650 rpm with my 3:42 gears, 18 speed. Long story, prior to the in frame, I was at 7 mpg BOBTAIL heading down to GA to do this work. 800 miles on the in frame, and I'm at 11 mpg on paper, the test will be with the dry van.

11. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I am only running 66 so not turning that much rpm. I believe 1400 but will check it next week. Just got it two days ago. 2017. Only had 22k on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.