What I did to get ice cold air in my ProStar

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Justrucking2, Jun 16, 2018.

1. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    There is an "Ambient Air Temperature" sensor that you need to find. This sensor is the one that reads the outdoor temperature, if like my truck, it reads all over the map. If 60* outside, it will read 100*, -20* it will read 40* and so on. This temp sensor controls more than just that thermometer in the cab, it is also tied into your AC system.

Mine always reads about 40 degrees too high. I had no idea it was tied into the AC system. That explains a lot. I will look for mine tomorrow. Located right under the radiator where the fan blows off heat explains a lot. Idiot designed that for sure.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    The turbo boost gauge is what we use to save fuel, try to keep it under 12 pounds of boost. The EGT (Pyrometer) is used to catch any overheat situations, every truck should have one. This is also used for fuel economy. A hot motor is less fuel efficient.

Try running her at 1650, I have to run in low 9 with my 18 speed. The low side of the top gear puts me right at 1650 rpm at 65 mph. Shift above that too, do not lug the motor! The way Cummins designed the liners in these things is criminal. The liners are the sleeves the pistons live in for those that did not know. The liners are sitting on a very small and narrow ledge inside of the block. The liners are not offset for the stroke of the pistons, so that when you lug the motor, there are extreme forces applied to the liner wall on the up stroke. When lugging the motor it just beats the hell out of those liner walls, which eventually leads to a fretted, or busted lose liner. When they are beat out of position, it takes out your head gasket and then the head itself. The only cure is an in frame, figure $30,000 for one of those.

I just went through my second in frame with this particular truck, I did the work myself this time around. The first one was severely botched by the dealership, they installed 450hp CM-2350 parts in my 600hp CM-871 motor. It was not pretty, and I am going to spend most of this year catching up $$$$.

And you do know about the fuel pump? That needs to be rebuilt every 300,000 to 400,000 miles. If you ever get a fuel pressure warning, shut the truck down IMMEDIATELY! The oil pump tappets fail, and when they do, they go directly into your engine oil, through your filter and into the head and lower end. If caught in time, like as soon as you get the low fuel pressure warning, you may get away with just changing the filter and flushing the motor. If you continue to drive, it only takes around 300 miles to boat anchor the motor. If you catch it in the middle, you are looking at minimum a $10,000 repair bill to hopefully save the motor and clean out all of the shrapnel. Normally this entails replacing the camshaft and rollers, along with new rod and main bearings. It is not pretty. And many times, Cummins will not warranty this work. So, if you have a warranty, find out if oil pump failure is covered. And when I say covered, not just the pump, but the entirety of the motor too, especially if it takes it out.

Head over to Rawze.com. there is a ton of info over there regarding this fuel pump issue.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    driverdriver Thanks this.
  4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I have one empty hole on the dash. Probably the turbo boost gauge. This thing feels turned way down. I may try to manually shift it. Takes forever to get up to speed, even with little load on.

5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Has anyone messed with the emissions?

6. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    No idea.

7. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Does it regen?

8. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Yes, and it's a clean idle truck.

9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    When the issues start, keep this number...

Haggai Automotive and Diesel Repair
    1228 High Falls Rd
    Griffin GA 30223
    (678) 688-8107

This is the only place in your neck of the woods I would trust to work on your truck for the issues you will soon face. I have been to his shop, he has folks come from all over the US and Canada to have him work on and in frame their Cummins motors. He is the #3 Cummins in frame shop in the country, he was number 4 until a few weeks ago. And he stands behind his work.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    He is a company driver. I know your only trying to save a guy the time and hell you been through which is admirable. I just hate to see you waste your time

11. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    That is ok, maybe the post will help someone else. ;-)

free2frog, QUALITYTRUCK and wore out Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.