What if a load gets delayed until the following day?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Dino soar, Aug 20, 2020.

1. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I'm glad it worked out for you. Normally, if there's an issue with the shipper that causes you to be delayed overnight, as mentioned a layover charge is appropriate.

Trucker61016, Brettj3876 and Dino soar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Probably best to always ask up front. Then no surprises.

4. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Have you ever had a load pulled out from under you as a result of sending in your rate con addendum? Have your requests ever been paid? Denied? A good one to add would be a rescheduling layover.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  5. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Thanks for the advice! There's always something else. That's what I love about this forum.

I don't mind losing a load to someone who isn't willing to back their word. If my terms are too much for them, it tells me they are shady to start with. When I first started out, I was like all others and grabbed anything I could. I ran into a situation with a company that decided they didn't feel like paying me. I learned that lesson, and since have done everything possible to make things iron-clad with no confusion over details.

Just as I'm willing to sit a day to take a good paying load, I'm also willing to lose a load to a potentially shady operation. As a result, to answer your question, I haven't had much problem because I only do business with higher quality brokers who understand my position and ability to come through.

6. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with setting expectations with a broker like you do with your stamp, but if they reject your terms it doesn't necessarily mean they are shady.

If I send you a load to run and in the load details it said you would be fined $500 an hour for every hour you were late, it wouldn't mean you were shady if you turned down the load, but rather that there were plenty of loads out there for you to accept that didn't have those type of stipulations and you would prefer to run those loads.

I don't have any customers that will allow me to bill $500 for a TONU or $100 an hour for detention, so in order to mitigate my risk for when things go wrong (and we know they do from time to time), I need to find carriers that are ok with the industry standard $250 TONU and $50 an hour for detention. So if I took you off load due to your expectations around TONU and detention pay, it isn't because I'm trying to pull a fast one on you, but rather that is just easier to assign a different carrier that will charge me the same fee I charge the customer when there is a TONU or detention.

Trucker61016 and p608 Thank this.
  7. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    I can agree on $50/hr detention, and am even considering lowering my tarp fee to $35. There's always room for improvement and compromise. However, when I stop my day to schedule a load, get underway to pick up that load only to have it cancelled, it costs me a day all said and done. To me, a day is worth more than $250 and the person who cancelled the load for whatever reason needs to understand that and feel the pain so they won't do it again. I am also reasonable enough to listen to a reasonable explanation for why the load was cancelled. Is it possible it is merely delayed until tomorrow? Did the plant blow up? There's always an exception to the rule, and adjustments to the fees. In the end, it's about being reasonable and treating people fairly. Again, communication being the key.

I would take a load with a $500/hr penalty as long as there were exemptions for force majeure. Laziness and poor trip planning are not reasonable excuses and I'd love to see drivers fined for that. It would weed out the bottom-feeders and help to restore our professional reputations.

8. JimmyTwoTimes

Aug 23, 2019
    Fair enough, I wish more carriers had the same type of attitude.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  9. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    So why not (as a group) educate the shippers?, they are certainly quick enough to put penalties in for a truckers service failure, why can't they be held to the same standard?

User666, 86scotty and olddog_newtricks Thank this.
  10. JimmyTwoTimes

Aug 23, 2019
    I've tried, and sometimes had a little luck with smaller shippers,but at the end of the day it ends up being simple economics. There are no shortage of carriers that will pickup and deliver on time, provide timely updates in the event of a breakdown or delay, and who will also charge $250 for a TONU and $50 per hour for detention. So shippers have zero reason to pay more.

11. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    right, the broker has no incentive, if it was making the broker money it would change.

User666 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.