What insurance companies do yall use

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Michelle222, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Michelle222

Michelle222 Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2021
    Starting out and trying to find companies to get quotes from

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    If you new entrant - your options very limited

Doealex, ibcalm19 and bzinger Thank this.
  4. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    You are probably going to have about three choices for a new entrant. OOIDA, progressive, Berkshire Hathaway. Don't be discouraged by the quotes you are just starting out. This is part of growing stage. All the best

MOBee and Lite bug Thank this.
  5. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019
    I started with Berkshire and have been happy for the most part. Don’t even bother emailing them for certificates, you just have to call. They’re pretty quick on the phones though so I’m never waiting.

Willmann30 and Lite bug Thank this.
  6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I have Progressive and they were fine until I added my new truck. I went from a 2007 F550 with full coverage claimed value of $10k on the truck, $10k on the trailer and typical $100k/$1mil. I'm in my 2nd year and my rate was a bit over $11k/year was paying right at $1k/month.

The fun started when I bought my new truck. 1st they hit me with a $2,6k payment meaning I had to pay $1,6k to add that truck. Same insurance but the stated value was $50k instead on $10k. This was ok and the monthly premium went up about $50. This was ok until 3 months ago. In May they claimed my truck was insured wrong and they out of the blue hit me with a $2k bill then my final bill of this policy was $1,3k whereas previously my final bill was going to be around $800.

Meaning when I added my new truck, Progressive has charged me an additional $3,1k on the difference of $40k stated value. To me that seems like a lot.. Also, keep in mind that cost was covered in only 6 months of the policy meaning it's a good chance my insurance rate will go up at renewal. Meaning it will likely cost me more than just that $3,1k extra over the course of a full year. As it sits now with the added rate increase my $11k/year policy went up to a bit over $14k/year but might be more when a full year is figured in not just 6 months.

I'm a bit peeved over this TBH.. I'm waiting to see what my new quote will be for my renewal which will be my 3rd year so if they jack up my rate I will be shopping and by all rights, my 3rd year should see a pretty big drop as I've had no claims.

On the upside 1 thing, I do like about progressive is I can make my own COI's. That saves me a lot of back and forth waiting when trying to book a load with a new to me broker. I'd really hate to give that option up going to another insurance company where you can't do that.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  7. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019
    takes 5 minutes on the phone, no biggy to get a good load booked

Lite bug Thanks this.
  8. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    My first year in business I was based out of Florida. I paid an insane progressive bill of 36k a year. After 10 months I moved back to NYC
    In nyc you dont have other choices apart from progressive..
    Paid 14k and change my first year and renewed 2 months ago for 11k and change.
    1 mill liability, truck and trailer fully covered for 60k and 200k cargo coverage.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I prefer to do them myself because I can do it and know it's done in 2 mins. If I call an agent, I don't know if that agent is going to drop everything to make my COI or if he/she has other customers in front of me. It's all a guessing game at that point because you have no idea how soon it will get sent out or when the broker got it so a few mins delay turns into a lost load or a 30 mins wait while things go back and forth.

vs when I do it, it's a simple 2 mins later I'm emailing the broker saying here is the COI..

10. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I had a good rate my 1st year.. If I recall it was either 12 or 14k I forget which and that was with cars. My 2nd year it did drop to right around 12k then later it dropped a bit more when I changed to the 2007 F550. It appears that when it dropped with the F550 down to just above $11k that maybe they had me insured wrong because even then I didn't understand why changing from a SRW F350 under 26k set up to a F550 @ 30k set up would lower my rate. I even questioned them on it then.

Regardless, I'm toying with the idea of selling my new truck to the dealer because they offered to buy it from me yesterday while I was dropping a car, due to the chip shortage. I still have my F550 and I was thinking about switching back to it for a bit then getting a semi.

I'm on the fence TBH, I just hate having a payment.. Paying $1k for a truck, and then 1,2k for insurance on that truck is getting old on top of the cost of fuel. I spent $1,3k in fuel for 4k miles the last 1.3 weeks and because I still don't have a sleeper on the new truck it cost me $625 so far this month for hotels. The hotels were manageable during coronavirus because I was getting pretty good rates but soon as travel started they've skyrocketed.

I like the new truck don't get me wrong but with all the other things that go with it not just the payment, it's costing far too much money.

Oh and for the record.. I dropped a new 2020 with 8k miles at a Ford dealer Thursday and they had a brand new F350 SRW Ford with the 6.7 and some fancy off-road package.. $108k for the truck... I couldn't believe it... Who the hell is buying a drive-around town truck for $108k?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  11. Hotblooded

Hotblooded Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2021
    Also remember that insurance cost different in certain states.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.