What insurance company are you using and why?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by crzyjarmans, Aug 9, 2021.

1. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    I just spoke again with Great west agent for sometime on the phone today asking several questions on the whys on the cost of insurance. Biggest ding of course is new venture and then living in the #### metroplex.

My first year has been with Progressive, quote was $23k if paid in payments and $19k if paid in cash. I paid cash because I wanted to say almost almost $4k for the year. I have good credit and I did have one ticket. I live in DFW area also so new venture+ticket+DFW area added up to hefty cost. Plus I paid another small chunk for GL

Agent was pretty up front about it probably not changing much for the second year but probably going up if I keep my record clean.

Now for my second year, The ticket I had was literally 1 or 2 months from being over 3 years old when I first started so it Is no longer on my 3 year MVR (which is crystal clean now as I just pulled it for my annual and sent it in for my new entrant audit)
    My FMCSA score has zero hits on it, no accidents or dents or dings on my record.

My Progressive quote went down a whopping $203 dollars less if paid in full.

My Great West quote was a few hundred dollars higher than progressive but that is with making the standard payments and includes GL.and their Tow Coverage. So after speaking with Great West agent I am switching over to them this year. He reps for progressive also.

He said as long as my FMCSA scores doesn’t get dinged and no tickets expect a decent drop with the third year in business. So Great West it is. I hate making payment but I will for the insurance. It cost no interest and keeps that cash in my bank vs theirs. Truck and trailer are paid for.
    Maybe it will force me to work harder… if We lived in the sticks it would definitely be cheaper.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.