What is a "clean driving record"?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SteveBausch, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    there can be no consensus, as each company has its own definition.

Milkman719 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Well a clean driving record depends on what is available on record. In my state when you get your CDL driving all tickets from that point are recorded on the recorded and available forever. Got a scale ticket in another state 8 years ago; It will be there. It will never fall off. Same with reportable accidents. Same with deferred prosecutions. Your criminal record will be also added to you driving record. Should you try to present a false version of your record your actual driving record can be looked up on-line by anyone with your drivers license number.

So before shooting your mouth off about what a clean record you have to employer, be aware of what can be looked up easily. The DOT requires a copy of your driving abstract to be on file at the trucking company so you might as well fess up when job hunting.

Milkman719 Thanks this.
  4. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Clean MVR report. All it shows are the dates of your renewals. That's a clean driving record.

5. Milkman719

Milkman719 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    sure would be nice to know what state your from.

6. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    With the exception of ZERO being on there the definiation of "clean" will always be up to interpretation. Remeber, it doesn't matter how far back YOUR state goes, in most cases carriers will STILL see what has dropped off (which I don't agree with). My MA driving record shows an entry every time my driving record is pulled and who pulled it. DAC has pulled my record MANY times LONG before I got a CDL! There's no taking it back!

There REALLY needs to be a Class Action or something to force DAC and all the spinoffs like the websites that check them to drop things as the original state drops them. It's the equivalent of ALWAYS using a late on a credit card against somebody after it's dropped of their credit report due to age.

7. Topher54

Topher54 Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Dickinson, ND
    To the poster. Your question is subject to interpretation by the hiring company. What one driving record looks good for one company may not be good enough for another. It is a liability screening that's all it is. If you got 3 speeding tickets in the last 6 months...you are a liability. If you left the scene of an accident 10 years ago, you might be a liability. If you were found to be at fault in 2 traffic crashes in the last 6 months...you are a liability. To answer your question which is subjective in nature. A clean record on your DMV print out says "Clear Record".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.