What is a shuttle driver in the trucking industry?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Newdriver123, Nov 10, 2021.

1. rolling884

rolling884 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2019
    There's a curve around every corner , It sounds like the shuttle driver has to adjust to meet the needs of type of freight .Sysco , Nashville $24.10 a hour .I'm a little apprehensive , they said they train me .After that be nites , I'm sorta glad about that .It's like a busy airport during the day , matter fact it's next to a airport .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    When I did Sysco shuttles is was pretty much just running loaded trailers to the drop lots and bringing empties back. Any returns would be loaded in one trailer and if I got that trailer I would have to put them back. Not like on the individual shelves, but frozen stuff in the freezer return area, refrigerated in that cooler etc. Maybe a 15 min job tops.

4. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    "Shuttle" depends upon the company.

We have shag trucks for the in-town stuff... Yard to freezer warehouse, customer to customer, warehouse to customer, and washing out trailers when nothing else needs to be moved. Some places might call that a shuttle, but we don't.

Our shuttle drivers are more like line-haul, only shorter distances. A few loads in a day cab from Austin to Albert Lea (24 miles each way) with a drop/hook on each end for half the shift, and the other half is taking one load to Fairmont (80 miles each way) for a D/H. These positions are highly sought after and rarely come available, even at $22.40/hr straight time (yes, our cost of living is much lower than south FL).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.