What is a tractor for pulling food grade tanker?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Termite20, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Yes and no. Yes it's the same engine, and the same automatic transmission (which I'd never spec because it's an auto). The tunes on the engines are different, though. The manual Mack transmissions have also been around since pre-volvo...as has the Camelback suspension. Air ride has various vendors rebadged as their own...been that way since pre-volvo, too. Cabs might have some crossover, too...haven't kept up too much with them after the buyout.

I will say this, though...the ONLY aero truck that looks even remotely decent is the Mack Granite with the set forward axle...

Winch--Oil-Field-Trucks-Mack-GRANITE-GU713-7298853.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    My cascadia is fine for chemical. A 125 midroof 70" sleeper. I was told you need a mid roof for tankers, but I see a lot running full roofs.

Termite20 Thanks this.
  4. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Autos work well with tanker? Was it smooth bore?

Do you still do tanker?

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Low racks mean backing, which isn't always allowed at some places, but I saw high roofs loading at some of those places, too.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    We used all types of trailers; smooth bore, baffled, dry bulk.
    The Vovlo automatic is the only setup that could handle the shifting correctly. We also tried some brand new loaners from Freightliner and International but would get stuck on a hill at a traffic light. Once the light truned green, the truck wouldn't move forward, but would roll backward. The Volvo setup didn't do that. so the company bought Volvo's.
    It was really a mess; we'd have to get someone to watch for us while we coasted backwards to a level spot, then get a running start and hope we made the green light and not have to go through that again.
    By the way, we ran 48 states and Canada and had no problems with the Volvo.

7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Pulled raw and condensed milk in a shotgun tanker for 18 months loaded at 80,000

Drove a 2 year old Western Star 3900 SB glider with a 12.7 Detroit and a 10 speed .

Never had much of a problem pulling long grades , I seemed to be right in line with the rest of the loaded trucks.

Glad it was a Western Star with its solid mounted interior cabinets when the condensed milk got bucking .

I now know why the cabinet doors were all constantly failing on the Kenworth 6800 I drove for a month previously

77fib77, MartinFromBC and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I have Macks with the 14 speed ishift transmission, and can say that after 32 years only driving manual shift trucks, wasn't sure I would ever like an automatic in a truck. Well after day 2 driving with the ishift auto, I was in lust with it, and now a couple of years later, I am a firm believer in them. Please give me an ishift, disc brakes, air ride suspension, and an MP8/D13 engine in all trucks. I wasn't even sure I would like air ride when I first drove one, until at the end of day 1 I didn't feel as beaten up at the end of the day. Previously it was rubber block and walking beams for me. My first time giving disc brakes a try was about 7 or 8 years ago, now I wonder why everyone doesn't have them.

9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    No they are not. Believe me, we have both and the Mack is a far better truck than the Volvo.

77fib77 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    We have Mack’s with the auto transmission. They all suck!!
    Get a 10 or a 13 speed manual.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  11. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Why do they suck in your opinion?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.