What is a tractor for pulling food grade tanker?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Termite20, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Termite20

Termite20 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Are single drives suitable for Canada or winter, do we need dual for snow sometimes?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Termite20

Termite20 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Is there a big difference weight wise between stand up and mid roof?

4. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    No but racks to get loaded under can have issues. Height issues.

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I've never been around them, Canada, it depends on availability. I would sure verify that, and the tractors and trailers were ordered that way, with wider spaced axle housings to get the right width with centered wheels which don't overstress the bearings and cause more failures.

Open shoulder tread gets poorer mileage but better traction, we run open shoulder highway tread in our area.

Termite20 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Having a low or mid roof sleeper is a must. And a tractor with a sharp turning radius. Some of these plants were designed by people driving pickup trucks.
    I have seen some loading racks where it would be impossible to get a high rise sleeper in to it.

7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    There are weight restrictions on wide base singles in Canada. I know Manitoba for sure has lower weight limits than duals, but I don't think it would effect you for loads at or under 80k gross going back south.

Singles from what I hear are a nightmare in any sort of freezing temps. Aluminum wheels, disc breaks, smaller axles and smaller bunks would likely save you more weight than the singles do.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  8. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I have never seen a truck with them in BC.
    Most trucks nowadays in BC are tri drives, 12 drive tires. I personally only buy tri drives now, with full lockers. The comment made earlier about high rise sleepers, depending on where you load it may or may not fit, but I wouldn't chance it if buying a truck, especially to pull tanker trailer where the trailer itself is so low there is no aerodynamic advantage to it. Many refineries are now bottom loading, and some make the driver leave and go into the shack and get started on the paperwork, you tell the staff in the shack what products in what holes, and the quantity you want. You then go back to your truck and hold behind the waiting line. When ready for you refinery employees have you park the truck in the slot indicated on your initial paperwork, they do the loading. You walk back to the shack and complete your paperwork and grab a coffee or whatever. The employee walks in with your tickets when done loading your truck, final paperwork is done, you take your 3 copies and leave. The last 500 loads of fuel I have hauled, I wasn't even given the option of loading myself.

speedyk, Zeviander and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  9. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I should add that I'm aware you are discussing a different type of tanker, but many loading places I see for various products have height restrictions.

10. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    What? You must be joking or a total over exaggeration. I drive an international auto for tanker outfit and none of this happen. But it does shift like an idiot.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No exaggeration at all. Didn't have that problem with the Volvo's though.
    Company policy was to leave the terminal and turn right, then the interstate was about 3 blocks away. Problem is, when you turn right, you immediately have to climb a short hill, with a stop sign about halfway up. That's where the problem was. If you stopped, then you couldn't go forward again without coasting back to the bottom and get a running start. People in the residential area were complaining about trucks running the stop sign and couldn't understand why we were taking that risk.
    Finally, the company let us turn left when we were leaving the terminal, which took us through a housing project with sharp turns, but we could finally reach the interstate without those pesky hills to deal with.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.