What is an inexpensive radiator replacement for my 97 classic with a Detroit

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Monkeyboy62, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Monkeyboy62

Monkeyboy62 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2018
    What is an inexpensive radiator replacement for my 97 classic 11.1 l Detroit?:mad:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cascadia

Cascadia Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2014
  4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I've had good luck with detroit radiator.

Edit to add: and i wouldn't even consider an aluminum radiator.

5. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    second that. they make better and better radiators.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Radiator works in Wyandotte Mi.They have always done me right best prices too.Also a/c condensor and. air to air coolers I bought last air to air from The place in Chicago that advertises lifetime warranty and claims to be the manufacturer can’t think of their name however they wanted me to return product and send it out to get warranty meanwhile trying to hard sell me a new one.I called Radiator works ranand actually bought a Chinese made with a 2 or 3 yr warranty for about $350 instead of their American made lifetime air to air cooler for about $600.The Chinese one is still holding after about 5 yrs.Ive been planning on buying a new radiator from them for a while now, biggest problem is installation Dealers gonna charge$2000 plus labor Radiator works about $1000 for rad and about $1200 complete with tank and most importantly they stand behind their Product and treat you like you own a fleet of trucks and understand sometimes money’s tight.Great service and family run business.I called Detroit Radiator who always had a great history and reputation as Father and son business that manufactures their own products however was told it would be 2 months wait as they order them only so often. I couldn’t believe it, just a note make sure your airflow to your radiator is clear don’t know how many times I’ve seen new radiator and oh also new air to air when that was the real problem to begin with best thing take air to air cooler and maybe even a/c condensor off leaving lines hooked up and clean with brake clean or whatever and air hose blowing brom back side and be careful with power washers they easily bend cooling fins I flushed my radiator with rust remover from harbor freight $20 gallon a few times and it worked bought some time 3 yrs now it didn’t hurt the aluminum at all.Not really recommending you do that as I would hate to see it cause a pinhole in sleeve or something I flushed mine a few times running down the road and flushed many times with water. But you could Isolate the radiator and try that stuff.They actually sell a radiator flush same brand and my guess same product even have Kevin Rutherford endorsing it made just for radiators for about 4 times the price as the stuff at harbor freight. At the time I had nothing to lose as I had picked up a heavy load and running hot I remembered I had a half gallon under bunk read the label won’t hurt aluminum and #### if it didn’t work I definately need a new one as mine is original 2001!!! Good luck check it out if your rad isn’t all rotten on outside clean it good comb the fins with a radiator come very cheap to buy

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    LKQ bought Radiator works about a year ago.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Why not? After replacing copper/brass radiators through Mack every few months (usually under warranty) after soldering up various cracks to try to prolong their life, I ordered an all aluminum radiator from CG&J in Alabama and installed it myself. It's been several years now and no problems.

9. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Something is causing your radiators to crack. Either something in the truck such as loose engine mounts, or the build quality of the radiator.
    I don't like aluminum radiators because aluminum is much more prone to corrosion issues.

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Not sure what effect that would have on a radiator, seeing as how it is isolated from the engine with rubber hoses and such...

...but nothing changed, other than the radiators. Copper/brass simply were not holding up. Use the red antifreeze and make sure you have a ground strap and it solves most of the corrosion issues.

11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Id take a guess that it was the quality of that brand radiator. Copper/brass radiators have been used successfully for over 60 years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.