What is EXCELLENT pay for experienced company hands?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midwest Trucker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Working with family is a horrible idea for 90% of people. Some, make it work great though.

Thanks for the feedback on pay.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’m seeing. Current drivers are happy, but it’s not enough to bring on experienced high end drivers from other companies.

We have to keep in mind that certain areas of the country have a lot more or a lot less demand for drivers. The city near me there is basically a trucking company on every corner on 2 sides of town.

You are who I’m looking for in theory. A lot of experience, great record, and ideally still loves trucking and running hard. $1800 is rough though especially as a solo. Now, if rates were up all the time it may be different. The highs are highs and the lows sure can be low.

Not saying your asking for too much but obviously that’s premium.

tommymonza and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I absolutely agree with you. And part of that problem is that I am from Chicago, where the cost of living is very high. You could theoretically get away with a lower pay rate depending on the area of the country.

Beaver9 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  4. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Yep, Chicago is expensive.
    Drivers who work for so cheap either divorce, have a lot of health issues by running around the clock to get that extra $100 per week, or leave for something better.
    His name says Midwest, so depending on the state he's in. If he's in Illinois by paying less than $1,700 per week he is asking for trouble. Many drivers if they do run for less are working for big brokers already with a lot less on their minds if there is a problem. Smaller companies rip off drivers on time and pay. Their stress level is even higher. By paying low, you might have to change hands often.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  5. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Well no, I really appreciate what he's doing here. He seems to be trying to do right by his drivers. It's just hard to operate as a small carrier these days, sometimes.

6. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    Good luck to that!

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    True. Chicago is sortof like the perfect storm. High cost of living and a gazillion trucking companies. My city is 200 miles to the SE. Sort of a cross roads. ;)

Trucking is on every corner here but our cost of living is far far lower. I live in a house I bought 2 yrs ago for 240k and pay less then 1500/yr in property taxes even being on 1.2 acres.

Seems like a lot of people feel ripped off by smaller companies. I always thought it was the megas who ripped off drivers. I don’t pay any mind to what others are doing though. In fact, I started doing the guaranteed minimum 10 yrs ago before it was even heard of. It was almost counter productive back then because nobody believed it was real! Now it’s all the rage.

Thanks, you get it. I want everyone to have long term stability and make great money. From the drivers, to the office, to myself the company owner. It’s just like walking a very fine line sometimes. The costs to run even a small operation like mine are astronomical. To me anyway.

Beaver9 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    No, it's a lot of pressure, and even the smallest change can be monumental to a small operation. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  9. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Interesting conversation , but region is important . I find it kind of a tell that you don't have apus , I consider that standard equipment for the trucks I buy .

Now my trucks are strictly dedicated , very limited broker exposure, most of my guys know what they are doing week to week and my home time is pretty flexible . You got something at home that needs done take off what you need and get it done . Usually most guys are only out 4 to 7 days and i find if they controll thier hometime they are more productive .
    I wish I could offer med insurance but the hca is where I get mine also because the products I could offer at any cost just are not competitive to an hca plan .
    We have a per diem plan (which you did not mention) and a 1000 for orientation paid in first paycheck . Standard vacation plans ETc.....most of my guys come in between 70 to 85k a year and we have every truck I want full except one , and i.m in no hurry to fill it I like having the spares when guys are home for services i.ll slipseat them into the spare for a few days and my shop can really dig into preventive maint like diesel force cleaning , kingpins etc without holding them up on the road .

Our pay rate avg between 55 cpm to start I won't post the upper rates but we do do raises on an individual basis and to date (knock on wood ) have zero turnover .

10. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    That is why I never want to grow bigger. For me, just me is enough. My wife does all the paperwork, and I drive.
    Knowing how much drivers sacrifice and how hard they work, I just couldn't make money off their backs.
    Unless, I would pay them how much I would want to be paid running for someone. But I'm happy where I am. I got a wake-up call after my wife found me sleeping on the floor outside the bathtub when I was filling it with water. The water was everywhere. My clothes were soaked. I almost lost my wife after 20 years of marriage because I ran for my brother who made so many promises, and I believed him.
    My brother doesn't speak to me now after I went on my own. He was hoping I will go down as if he wanted to break me or my marriage.
    But the year 2020 has been fair to me.I'm doing well and moving forward. My marriage is good. I'm more home, and I'm making money.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  11. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    What region/state and how many trucks if you wouldn’t mind?

As far as APU’s go. I’ve thought a lot about it and I just don’t see it. 6 months out of the year at least, they aren’t needed. When it’s cold the bunk heater is there. If it’s hot idle the truck. I do have built in inverters so that’s not an issue. Smart wheels, heated seats, gauge package, etc. For 10k per truck, I just don’t feel like wrapping up 100k in APU’s when I already have the heater portion anyway. Fuel is also cheap, limited savings there. Since this is a red flag to you, I’d appreciate insight into that.

I hear you on the spare, I do that as well but still wouldn’t mind filling up to 100% now that my fleet age average is very young.

I hear yah, my brother and I didn’t speak until this past Christmas. Was almost 8 yrs. It took a toll on everyone, my parents included. Try and make amends when the time is right, even if it’s just for holidays with family. I was hurt deeply but I went too long without talking. Some people just are who they are so eventually just have to accept it.

Happy to hear things are on the up and up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.