What is Good Truck for owner operator!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NewbieTruck, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Well, I hear say, that 2017 and newer are better, as far as emissions go. I have no idea myself. only what I’ve been told by a Detroit Engineer. All Trucks and engines have their unique problems. Most Drivers have their opinions. Typically if you buy a 4 yr old Truck, with 500k, for half the price of a new one, you’ll spend about the same including added maintenance, as the new one. That’s a rough estimate, but seems to be pretty accurate to me. Add the emission wild card of today’s engines, and it could be even more to run the used Truck, over 4 yrs. So depending on you’re situation, what Truck for what price you can find, depending on market conditions. Sometimes with a little luck, a used 4 yr old Truck w/ 500k can be OK. Depends on price paid, and Luck. Sometimes you can get rid of it, before it blows. Either way, it’s costly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NewbieTruck

NewbieTruck Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2020
    What would you suggest on New or old Truck for Amazon Relay or Convoy power only to start.
    New is just too expensive and I just don’t know how to pick the good old one. What would you suggest? I hear anything before 2007 was better than the new ones . If I buy old one, will the Amazon Relay or Uber Frieght or Convoy accept my old truck?

What would you suggest

4. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Call Amazon and find out if they have age requirements. Most Companies have a rule, for Leasing onto them. With your Own Authority, it may not matter. I don’t know their Policy.

singlescrewshaker and NewbieTruck Thank this.
  5. NewbieTruck

Jul 28, 2020
    New truck is $130k
    Used one I am looking at $50k
    There is like $80k difference.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Most fail because they give up too easily. I’m always hearing how one must have a paid for house, and 50k or more, in the bank to succeed. Of course that might help prevent failure, but if you spent all the saved money in the process, have you really succeeded? You can live pretty well, working any crappy job, if housing is paid for. Bottom line is, if you want to succeed, you’ll do what it takes. With any Business, sometimes it’s better to quit while you’re ahead.

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s why I will never buy a new Truck. A used one, with less than 200k, 2 or 3 yrs old, for 60-70k seems better to Me. With a little luck, maybe get it paid off, before major repairs hit. After 500, and by 750k a lot of things can start to break. You have to figure, a payment and repairs. The last couple years will be expensive. Then after it’s paid for, pretty soon it needs an overhaul. It still costs money. If kept long enough, overall cost to run will go down. But repairs will always be needed. That’s a big headache. While there are exceptions. Sometimes you get a good Truck, and have good luck, but eventually the law of averages catches up. Just have to be prepared, don’t count on luck.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Never get between a man and his 2 axle shaker

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    He’s absolutely right about the old FLDs. They were the most money makinist Trucks ever. Most went to Mexico, 20 yrs ago, when they were selling for $3000-$10000, everywhere. I’ll bet there’s still a bunch of 90s FLDs mostly w/ Detroit’s running around down there. Not all of them went to the scrap yard.

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yep ive noticed, usually if there is an older working truck in the truck stop , its almost always an FLD.

11. NewbieTruck

Jul 28, 2020
    I have been Hearing this OEM warranty from Frieghtliner 2 years 200k miles. They said within warranty Frieghtliner will cover everything at $0 cost from me. Is it true?
    so I was thinking if I buy one with 500-600k after 2 years of adding 200k miles if theres any break it will get fixed and after 2 years the truck should be in much better position is not?
    *As you mentioned 1st couple years.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.