What is it about the open road, or your specific job, that makes you like trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Random user, May 30, 2018.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I wouldn't say i love it, but i tolerate it better than anything else I've done. And it's pretty darn easy and stress free compared to other business ventures I've been a part of.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Whatever you're taking, do you think you can hook me up with some? :D

Camelclutch Thanks this.
  4. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I do most my trucking in downtown Minneapolis or north minneapolis these days.

I like that I get to see how buildings are made and help make them etc.

I like that I see a lot of crazy stuff good and bad. Crazy people too.

I like working with the different contractors I meet. Some I can’t stand but most are cool.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Classified largecar talk. Sorry.

wore out and spyder7723 Thank this.
  6. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    not having to deal with jerk managers, the boss i do have pretty much leaves me alone..... he is pleasant to deal with when i do communicate with him. he tries not to do anything to upset drivers to the point of leaving. i was formerly a plant worker before i got my CDL, this far beats being in the plant..... when it gets really hot out, i have the A/C in the truck to cool off. plant workers sweat while the managers sit in a cool office, kind of like slavery.

driving in the rural areas, my route is rural and small towns; i love driving truck out in the country in the summer, nothing better.

handling the weight of a loaded tanker, and knowing exactly how to handle that 18 speed and know what gear i have to be in pull the hills, lots of hills out here

the farmers, at least most of them are great people to deal with, i treat them as customers.

staying local, i know i will pick up my truck in the beginning of the day and park it in the same exact spot i found it at the end of the day. i will get to drive my camaro, drive a tanker tractor trailer, and see my house every single day.

predictable pay (at least with my particular job), i know every week i will gross AT LEAST $1020, there are sometimes opportunities to make more; but i have never made less.

what would i do if i was not a truck driver? i have no idea, but i probably wouldnt enjoy it as much.

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well I've always enjoyed having my own trucks and equipment.

There's something about stopping to get something to eat and when you walk outside you look at your truck and say wow that's mine. I'm independent. I'm doing my own thing. I'm not a slave to a cubicle. I'm not tied up in office politics. I can get up in the morning and go to work in jeans and a t-shirt (nice jeans and t-shirt). I can have a nice peaceful day without bosses hovering over me. I don't have anyone pushing me to make some kind of a quota.

And a nice big cam is really fun to drive.

8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    My first experience driving tractor trailers / semi trailers in the USA was my ultimate bucket list goal i did it for 12 months and loved every minute of it. Great roads, great people, great food, great company to work for, everything was great, and i got paid to see the whole country so instead of hiring an RV that would of cost me around $50,000 instead i earned $50,000 got free accommodation, free travel advice no fuel bill, i mean even the lot lizards were nice. What more could i ask for?

9. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    let me add the ability to stop at the gas station to get something to eat or drink..... when i worked at a factory i felt like a prisoner, you cant go anywhere for 8+ hours. trucking, regardless of the type of trucking job you are mobile.

i can also add, you will likely never hear dont let the door hit you on the ### on the way out. drivers are in somewhat short supply, some employers will try to keep their drivers if they can.

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I'm here for the glamour and free coffee. ;-)

11. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I'm not really excited about it anymore. Started in May of 1980. It was exciting at first, driving them big rigs down the road. Traveling to places that I had never seen. It was very exciting. If you want to hear some great stories about the challenges that I have faced throughout the years you can go to my profile and read about them. Sadly, my whole life turned out to be about drinking and women. Trucking became an outlet for both. Drinking at a new watering hole every night and waking up at a new parking spot every morning. Im happy to say that I have been clean and free from alcohol for many years. Looking at a road atlas, I can't find one single interstate that I have not driven on. I've driven in all of the United States and all provinces of Canada including Nova Scotia. I haven't been to Alaska yet in a car or truck and I don't much care to. Although I would love to try my hand at being a bush pilot. That would be exciting.

Trucking has changed in many ways since my early days. The trucks are nicer than they used to be but in most other ways it has deteriorated. I think the hardest thing to accept has been the lack of respect by most of the drivers out here and I'm not going to open up that can of worms. Anyone who has been out here for 20 or more years knows what I'm talking about. Since this post is supposed to be about what makes us happier than a horny goat to be a trucker I will try to accentuate the positive. I've always liked challenges. I started with dry box until it got boring and got sick of appointments. Then I tried flatbed. I really enjoyed Oversize but the company I drove with was a little corrupted and so I quit. I became a car hauler in 2002 and it too can be challenging and lucrative. I'd rather be flying but the way things are going I need to drive for awhile longer and I have a great job with great staff and benefits.

I've been on Workers Comp for 3 weeks but my last work week I grossed close to $2500. Here's a snip of it so you know I'm not blowing smoke.
    Last Pay.PNG

Yes, this is a company truck with about 160K miles. I also stay in a paid hotel every night that I'm out too. They are mostly 3 or 4 star hotels with a Corporate Lodging rate. To me, it's just a job but since I need to do this awhile longer I couldn't ask for a better job. I've been getting my feet wet late in life with learning how to find fast money making opportunities in real estate investments so that I can create what is known as passive income. I've had all the truck driving and gear jamming that I need. I only wish that I would have been a lot more teachable when I was a young man.

You can read some stories of the challenges I've faced or created throughout my career by viewing my content on this site. Here are just a few of them.
    The First Truck I Ever Drove As A Solo Diver For Hire
    Featured Performer Of The Day
    Protect them mirrors
    What happens when we don't pay attention
    This Is Not Looking Good
    How I learned to adjust my brakes. (and clean my drawers)

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/search/31915571/

It's been a long road, I'll tell ya!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.