What is it REALLY like?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by LuvDemTigers, Dec 8, 2007.

1. LuvDemTigers

LuvDemTigers Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NC
    Im a little scared (nervous really) and excited at the same time about the possibility of doing this. If I can get through this and get a truck, I think it will be the most excited, yet the most scared I will have been in a LONG time. I know it is WAY different that the 9-5 rat race (which I HATE!!). Id like to know what keeps you driving.

What are the good things about OTR?

What are the bad things?

Be honest and dont sugar coat it. I want to know what to expect when/if I get out there. Tell me the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    OTR is good if you like adventure and seeing new country every day.

Its bad if you have family, and like social going ons with friends.

4. capnhector

capnhector Light Load Member

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/good_and_bad_about_trucking.shtml

thats a nice list of some of the pros and cons, trucking is not a job its a life style you get paid for. you will hear that alot because its true.

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

Well it is still a rat race!:biggrin_2556: Some of the rats are in trucks the others are in cars!:biggrin_2559: If you like a sense of adventure and not knowing what state you will be in the next day then it is a job for you. I like to be on the move and not in a factory or under a roof. I flatbed now. I like to be outside and it keeps me in shape. The bottom line is you can have 100 drivers tell you what it is like and you won't know if you will like it until you come out and see for yourself. Good luck, keep us posted.

6. RoamingGnome

RoamingGnome Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Pennsylavania

best thing about driving is the feeliing of freedom and no one looking over your shoulder.

bad things : traffic at night in a town you have never been to trying to find a shipper or reciever. bad weather is also a problem. a truck is very unforegiving. one mistake and you can find yourself in a ditch or worse.

overall you have to find a happy medium and just do it. it's either in your blood or it's not.

good luck

7. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Couldn't have said it better myself!!

8. Sabine in Mo

Sabine in Mo Medium Load Member

May 11, 2006
    Fredericktown, MO
    It's still a rat race, but instead of 9 to 5, it is from the wee hours of the morning to late at night, or maybe all night long.....only god and your dispatcher will know exactly what's in store for you.

9. RoamingGnome

RoamingGnome Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Pennsylavania
    and half the time the dispatcher is clueless.

Wiseguywireless Thanks this.
  10. dmick1954

dmick1954 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Bartow, FL
    Exactly right!!! You will just have to climb into a truck and join us for a while. That is the only way that you will know for sure. Like any other job, it has its good points and its bad points. Hope to see you on the road some time. Good Luck!!!!:yes2557:

11. wpmclam

wpmclam Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Venus, TX
    I remember the first time I saw a real mountain (i live in north texas) it was amazing. I love going up in the northwest myself. I've been tempted to move there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.