What is my best move with large start-up capital?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jamesinmt92, Apr 21, 2017.

1. jamesinmt92

jamesinmt92 Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2017
    I am a company team driver with a year experience with the same company. I recently acquired a quarter of a million dollars and am thinking of buying a brand new truck cash and going owner opp with the co driver I currently work with. Any advice on a specific plan of action?

dca Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Join www.OOIDA.com which is a business website for the owner-operator.

jamesinmt92 Thanks this.
  4. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    Buy a Rolls-Royce.....thats what i would do with free money lol

whoopNride and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, with those old fashioned wide white wall tires.

whoopNride and BigTennOTR Thank this.
  6. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    Ooooooo billlyyyyy

7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Keep the money in your pocket is what I would do.

8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Just because YOU acquired 250k doesn't mean squat as far as starting a business. Does it make it easier? Heck yeah. Does it mean you will automatically be successful? Heck no. Draw out business plan. Separate your brain into 2 categories. Truck driver and business man. A new business has zero dollars. It needs to get start up capital somewhere. Your personal money could be that money. Are you as a truck driver happy lending out your 250k for 0% return? Why not invest it for maybe 7%? OR if you invest it in this new startup company can you make even greater returns? Can you pay a driver a healthy wage while the company makes truck payments to the lender (you personal) AND still turn a profit? If not you will just be another person who foolishly uses the windfall money and really all you did is make a bad investment where you see a negative return. You may even start a business where you are working twice as hard for half the pay. Now that is a real financial problem and you will eventually learn that you can't get blood from a stone when you eventually run out of money.

Now can you see why I say you need to be able to separate truck driver from business man when considering "buying a truck" ? It is absolutely not a road to riches if you could just own the truck. Most of the time is it the contrary. Can it be lucrative? Yes. Is there a sure fire way to make that happen? Not really. You need to put together a plan that suits your situation best. And nobody is going to lay out their successful plan with contacts and all so or anyone else can swoop in and replicate it. That's why it's successful for them. They have put it together. You will need to do the same.

9. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Find something else to invest in. Putting it into a retirement account now would be great. If you are married then buy or pay off the house first.

An old boss of mine came into some money. All said and done, now he has nothing but 10 years of probation, 15 years of child support and nothing to show for the money.

whoopNride and Ruthless Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's right; a good retirement plan could turn that $250K into a few million.
    Buy some rental property and bank the rent money. Pretty soon you have your $250K back in cash; buy a truck with that rent money if you still want a truck. You can buy several condos or 4-plex rental places with that cash and immediately have returns on your investment. Big bucks coming in every month. A property manager such as a real estate company can manage it for you for a small fee. This way you don't have to deal with the renters yourself.
    One driver on here bought a 4-plex and lives in one and rents the other 3; smart move.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    could buy a used truck outright and put the majority away. no payments on the truck will put a little more in your pocket for _______.

Cottonmouth85 and jamesinmt92 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.