What is the advantage of trailers having disc brakes?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TruckRunner, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Service sometimes sucks at a parts changing shop, one reason why I carry parts that are needed for repairs and will ship them to a location.

I am ordering more with disc brakes than with drums, I pay a little more on the front end but reduce the costs on the back end quite a bit.

What?

Am I reading this on the Prius forum?

That's what they claim too but hell my prius stops better with disc brakes than the one with drums ever did.

I also have a couple fast cars that were converted to disc on all corners, they stop better than they ever could with drums.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I wouldn't go that far, as relic. Been at this a long time 40+ and drum has served me quite well. Not saying i wouldn't get them but someone has to show me cost verses longevity first. Sorta like supersingle tires.

SuperRookie Thanks this.
  4. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    With 4 wheelers, my dad always taught me that disks were better because they were much easier and safer to work on. He said those springs inside those drums holding the pads back could take off a finger. And I watched him change enough drum brakes to know he wasn't lying.

I changed my first set of disk brakes at 13. The entire car took an hour.

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Discs are a lot easier to work on than drums on a car. But as far as I'm concerned truck drum brakes are also easier to work on than drum brakes on a car.

Cattleman84 and stillwurkin Thank this.
  6. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Brenntag orders all their tractor with disc all around and I honestly couldn’t tell the difference. They make your wheels dirty as hell, though.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Because idiot drivers today think trucks are cars.

I’ve gotten to the point now when I see yet another truck cab crushed and driver killed from driving to fast and following too close I think it’s improved the gene pool and probably saved lives.

Disk brakes? After all these years, I could give a flip.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    D.Tibbitt and mp4694330 Thank this.
  8. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Drum Brakes become useless after the pads become glazed from the heat. I read years ago the stopping distance on a truck with disc brakes make it much safer.

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    They might have a purpose on 17.5” trailers or in extreme steep situations but other than that, why would anyone need to stop faster? So they can drive faster? Follow closer? Pay attention less? Have their load shift?

I wouldn’t give an extra nickle for them if it means reduced serviceability and increased maintenance cost

slim shady and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    For real?

11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Yeah for real GO. I don’t get it. Stopping fast is BAD. If the selling feature was less cost I would be board but stopping quicker is not s selling feature for me

Cattleman84 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.