What is the advantage of trailers having disc brakes?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TruckRunner, Jul 2, 2018.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Never had to stop faster than anticipated from someone else's poor decision making (or lack thereof) in front of you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Faster than anticipated? Sure maybe but I’ve never been without adequate braking power.

I just envision a bunch of dingbats following even closer under a false assumption that they can stop, not realizing they still can’t react any faster. All I see is coils and steel beams coming through cabs and pallets falling over

I guess that’s what auto braking systems are for LMAO what was I thinking?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    All I'm saying is that 30% shorter stopping distance claim is real. Otherwise you don't notice much difference. Only when you are forced to hammer them on it's surprising at first how much more braking power you have.

And from the financial standpoint. They last much longer. The cost to buy/maintain is approximately double. The life of pads and discs is looking like 400-500k miles. I have them with about 250,000 miles on them and they still have lots of pad left. Perhaps someone else around here who runs them can give an estimation as to service life who has had them long enough. My annual will be done early August so I will have accurate measurements and I'm sure we can look up thickness of new so we can get some decent first hand data.

Edit to add
    I should also say this. Would I change an old piece of equipment over from drum to disc? No. Would I buy used equipment if it had drum? Yes. Will I buy drum brakes on anything new? Never.

5. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Considering the future of trucking might include some form of self driving autopilot....the computer may need disc brakes. LMAO

rank Thanks this.
  6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I don’t dispute the stopping distance claim I just don’t see me paying extra for something I’ve never needed. However, if it turns out they are cheaper......now we can talk

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    shogun, MartinFromBC and gokiddogo Thank this.
  7. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    If I were in your shoes I'd be doing the same thing.

rank Thanks this.
  8. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    40 tons moving at 70 mph...

Trucking Accidents could be somewhat reduced if it is applicable to shorten the stopping distance due to human interaction.

The problem is human being slow to react.

My suggestion is allow a safe distance behind the vehicles rushing to nowhere.

RubyEagle, Lepton1, rank and 4 others Thank this.
  9. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Never been cut off?
    Had an animal run out in front of you?

10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Yes. Lots of times. I lift but never slam on the brakes. Two resulted in wrecks. I hit one and missed the other but neither one would have been prevented by disk brakes. You see I don't want to stop fast so I wouldn't slam on the pedal anyway. I have two kids at home and I have no plans to go out as a martyr by slamming on my brakes and losing control just to save a dumas. If they cut me off that badly they are at the mercy of God like the young lady in Manheim, PA that thought her Jetta could squeeze in front of me at 60 mph. No sir I will stay in my lane and stop safely making sure not to involve a third vehicle.

Couple times. So what? Again it was nothing that drum brakes couldn't handle. The only ones I've hit are the ones that happened so fast I didn't even get my foot off the fuel. Am I supposed to roll a coil through my cab to save a deer? Gimme a break.

Disk brakes with ABS. This is the absurdity of the trucking industry

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Cattleman84, stillwurkin and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Drive tankers for 6 months ,then you will know why you like disks.

FlaSwampRat and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.