What is the attraction with peterbilts

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by d_man, Dec 7, 2012.

1. loves2truck

loves2truck Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2013
    I'd drive a truck with a hood for $.05 CPM - if you want to be a ###### trucker, you can only have a long hood.

I was about to get in one too, but my cowboy boot got caught in my chain wallet and I fell out of the cab; breaking my coccyx.

Elroythekid and willardskillard Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G3Truks

G3Truks Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    For those of you that think they are all the same....because they use similar motors, trannies and rears....try this simple test.

Take your index finger and your pinkie and measure the rivet points along the hood and body of any Pete hood. Now, without moving your fingers walk along side ANY other truck and measure the rivet points.

Nice job!! Thanks for playing so far....now Part 2.

Now look under the rear end of a Pete and notice the leaf/air suspension. Without forgetting what it looks like look up the rear of ANY other truck. WOW...kinda different ain't it?

You're doing great so far.....just stay with me for one more little teat and then we're done...

Now look under the fender of the Pete...yeah...that's the part that hangs out over the steer tire....notice the joints, connections, axel and how they are connected to the frame.....go ahead....we'll wait....
    Now go look at a Freightliner and compare the difference. And get used to looking at the front end of the Freightliner because you'll repair and replace it 3 times before you ever touch the Pete.

OK.....we're all done now.....so the moral of the story is.....you gonna believe me or your lying eyes? Look for yourself and make your own decisions......

4. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    I havent read through all 27 pages but looking through the first few pages I keep seeing the word "quality" mentioned.

My company gave me a brand new 587 (7 of us got new 587's at the same time) earlier this year. It had 130 miles on it and now has almost 69,000. From what I have seen, I think that the quality is fair at best.

I had to get the front end aligned and replace the steer tires before 50,000 miles.

Drivers door, the bar that keeps the door from opening too far almost fell off.

Right electric window worked intermittently for several months. Now all of a sudden it seems to be working ok, but for how long?

Right electric door lock works intermittently.

Fuel gauge bounces from the actual fuel level down to E then back to actual level. This causes the light to illuminate and the dash warning to "ding". This happens intermittently several times daily.

Left headlight will not work unless you turn the headlights on then start the truck. This is the only way the left headlight will work properly. Peterbilt says they dont know what the problem is and no one that they have talked to know wither.

I could keep going, but I dont want to bore you. My point is, if this is (high) quality, I would hate to see the other manufacturers quality! This is a nice truck but Im not overly impressed by Peterbilt.

sdaniel and Rigbuilder Thank this.
  5. 7.3 cowboy

7.3 cowboy Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Your still in a plastic truck get a 379 and then you can make your mind up

SHO-TYME and DrtyDiesel Thank this.
  6. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Most of out fleet are newer 379's. They are always in the shop as well.

7. 7.3 cowboy

Mar 4, 2013
    The egr and emissions can ruin a truck can't they?

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  8. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah but if it's for emissions or electrical reasons then that has nothing to do with the quality if the truck. You can't hold Peterbilt accountable for the emissions or engine problems.

Now if they are in the shop because they're falling apart, that's a different story.

I will tell you though, I was in a Pete 379EXHD with this company, for a few months. I got it with 780,xxx miles on it. It rode better, handled better, and the quality both interior and exterior was FAR superior than that of a freight liner or international I've driven in the past. I had a brand new prostar before and it rattled inside, the fenders shook, the cab was noisy, all after 49,000 miles.

My long nose Pete on the other hand was quiet, no knocks or rattles inside or out, nothing vibrated or shook while going down the road. I could hold the steering wheel in one spot and it would keep on a straight path.

My long nose Pete with spring front suspension rode better than my prostar with air ride front suspension, far better. I now have a new KW t660 and this thing bounces all over the place.

With the steer axle being almost under me I feel every bump in the road. The interior is much nicer inside than the Pete's but I miss my hood. I'll take that 265" wheelbase over this 247" any day of the week. I like having an APU but I'll go back to idling if I could have my long nose Pete back. I miss that truck so much.

fisher guy Thanks this.
  9. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Sure you can.....PACCAR could have told the EPA and Cali to go pound sand.....

I have an '09 386.....The biggest problems I have had with are 4 turbos....The Two EGR Coolers...And the 5 EGR valves I have replaced...

All on warranty....But a warranty doesn't cover lost time while the rig is in the shop....
    Nevertheless....I have one more year on the truck mortgage...And one more on the warranty....After that.....My rig is going up to PDI and the EGR is going away......Screw CARB!!!....

10. 7.3 cowboy

Mar 4, 2013
    That is all true. Dads 2001 Internatoinal can't hold a candle to his 95 379. There ain't no feeling like petermobilin

DrtyDiesel and fisher guy Thank this.
  11. GeorgeDee

GeorgeDee Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Winston Salem, NC
    Personally I grew up loving the peterbilt extended hood 379s ..they always reminded me of walker Texas ranger or in the heat of the night or Bo and duke, they are baaaaaaad asssss...I would love to own one, buuuuuuut the early 90s peterbilt 372 cab over that gets 10+ mpg is the way I will go once I'm a o/o. It only makes sense...once I get enough money I would think about a classic bad ### Pete. Buuuut the Mack Pinnacle Raw Hide with the sleeper is just as beautiful style wise and very modern and it's a mack so it will go for billions and billions of miles....I just don't see myself in a 379 working ... But would love to have one as yard art..

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.