What is the attraction with peterbilts

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by d_man, Dec 7, 2012.

1. 359

359 Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Sdaniel--
    while I agree with the your newer craftsmanship statements wholeheartedly--I have to disagree w/your no zone etc statement--some people get used to driving a hood and some do not--my first real hood was an 81 359--from an R model--I have no problem at all seeing everything around me--and have no xtra mirrors--just a matter of knowing your vehicle and paying attention
    I am not saying the xtra mirrors do not help--just sayin they can be done without--might require a little more effort--but very doable none the less

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I still run an 85 359 every day. With the mirrors and spot mirrors under them properly adjusted I can see all around my truck. Sometimes I have to lean up while backing to get a better view on the right side. I agree on not needing the extra mirrors. Just cause I like it doesn't mean everyone should.

ke5adb and 'olhand Thank this.
  4. ke5adb

ke5adb Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Stillwater, Ok
    Not anymore they won't. The new ones are garbage (doors that won't stay shut, rough riding, stupid design for stack mounts, #### squeaking, plastic dash that sticks up way too high). I'd rather have an old 359, pre-02 379, or 362. I know everybody says Pete an KW are the same truck, but I'll say BS. The KW W900s are built so much better than the Petes are now. If I was going to buy a new truck, it would be a KW.

In my opinion, the best trucks were 359s, 351s, 379s, 352s, 362s, K100s, W900As. I actually liked the FLD and the '86 and older Freightshakers. I've owned a '77 International Transtar II (Vomit Comet) 6-71 Detroit, a '97 379, and a '87 K100E.

Volvo has never made a truck, they make plastic garbage. Freightliner and International USED to make a truck.

rocknroll81 Thanks this.
  5. ke5adb

ke5adb Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Stillwater, Ok

Screw the No-Zone crap, Smith System crap, and all the other junk they think they're teaching. All that stuff is common sense, which too many lack these days. You can't teach common sense, they either have it or they don't. We honestly don't need Eaton-Vorad, Automatic trannys, automatic slack adjusters, crossfires on every tire, a sticker that warns you not to put your fingers in the fan or pto shaft, hood mirrors, rookie rods, backup cameras, traction control, speed limiters, and dingers bells and whistles that warn you of every little stupid detail. Makes me sick.

Flying Dutchman and rocknroll81 Thank this.
  6. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Do not disagree with you , except the hood mirror . With out it there will be a blind spot on the right side that a car can hide in , right beside your steps . We all try our best to keep a good menial picture around the truck . But a car can slip in on us . A small enough car we will look over top of it , out the window. I never realized how large our blind spots are till I trained with the road team . Couple times a month I go to schools and do NoZone events. Can easily hide 3 cars around a truck. Get a kick out of walking the kids around a couple of cars , cones , etc then put them in the cab close the door and watch their face when all that disappears . Only way they can see what I put out is to look back out the window. Teach them early to share the road . That small mirror can help us do job better.
    The other things you listed , are for things in my control. Let me do my job , do not need them . I do not have control of the driver of that can doing stupid things. Like hanging out where we can not see them .

wore out Thanks this.
  7. RizenPhoenix

RizenPhoenix Road Train Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Hammer, nail, head.

They are both shiny, loud, overpriced, and poorly assembled.

Elroythekid and n3ss Thank this.
  8. RizenPhoenix

RizenPhoenix Road Train Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I hear the amish are taking apps. you'll fit right in.

9. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    That's COLD man , cold.

10. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Im in a 2013 Pete 587. While the Pete is nicer, I would take that old 2010 KW T-2000 I drove any day over the Pete.

11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Don't want to start a debate or war here. I don't mean this offensive but just cause it says peterbilt on the hood and dash doesn't make it a PETE. I do agree quality has gone to crap, drivetrane included. No one makes a real largecar anymore. Bad thing is very few appreciate a LARGECAR for what it is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.