What is the best type flashlight and best brand battery?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by candun, Jun 7, 2009.

The best flashlight for truck driver is...

1. *

a large, heavy duty Magnum

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. *

a small hand-sized Magnum

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. *

a forehead mounted light

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. one that takes "lantern" batteries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. *

a high-quality LED handheld

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  6. *

anything that's cheap and shines light

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. Western Sky

Western Sky Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Oregon
    Stream light makes a great flashlight. Get the most lumens you can afford. Also pay attention to what batteries are required, as this will be an ongoing expense.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I have a 3 D-Cell LED maglight for my "general" flashlight, I also a flashlight APP on my smartphone that comes in super handy. I have two spot lights, one rechargeable, the other a plug in beneath my jump seat (haven't used them in a long time) that I can grab. As well as the headlamp for chaining or other uses.

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I just have a small LED flashlight.

It has a bright beam with enough range to suit my needs.
    The thing I like most about it is that it is both battery and solar powered. (a pair of 3V lithium 'wafer' batteries)
    The first click of the button uses the solar cell, the second the normal batteries, and the third turns it off.
    It's about 7" long and 1-1.25" diameter, so it is small enough to keep on my dash - so the solar cell is always charged.
    I've had it nearly 2 years now, and have never needed to replace the batteries.

I got it at Walmart.

5. pop's

pop's Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Yulee FL.
    I have 2 streamlight junior led.c-4 . the best lights I have had. I don't leave home with out it. About & 60.00 from Matco tools or you can get online from home depot.

6. Cliff1

Cliff1 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2015
    The best flashlight brand for the money is Nightstick.
    Their TAC-560XL has 800 Lumens on high for seeing signs easily as well as medium, and low settings for upclose use. It is rechargeable off your 12V cigarette lighter and comes with a small charger that can easily mount in your truck cab. They also have a CR-123 carrier to use primary batteries if you can't recharge for some reason.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nightstick-TA...ac-560XL&pebp=1421161622814&peasin=B00MFY6MJC

If you carry flammable materials their XPP-5422G is certified intrinsically safe (incapable of causing a spark) and only $30. It has TWO lights integrated- a flashlight for distance viewing PLUS a flood light for upclose viewing so you will not trip or fall into a hole when walking.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nightstick-XP...21162210&sr=1-1&keywords=nightstick+xpp-5422g

You will never need another light once you've used one of these two.

7. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    The best flashlight and batteries to have in MY truck are the flashlights that I do not pay a lot for and lose. I usually buy a cheapo light, like under $10, and as for batteries, whatever is on sale. I also have a mini mag light, that I keep in my shirt pocket. And in my briefcase, I keep spare batteries (and bulbs) for both.

At home however, I have a maglight, 5 D cell.

When you lose a flashlight more than say 3 times, you learn NOT to spend tons of money on'em.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    For me its the led flashlite.There's all different shaps and sizes that really draws out the lite.i have one the size of a pen and one the size of a diamond on my key chain.Both work excellent.

9. Ford L8000

Ford L8000 Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
  10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I use a magnum for most everything. Also have a light that uses the kinda square 6v batteries. They are easier to set down pointed the right way when I'm trying to do something. Extra batteries for all, all the time. I also have one of the led headlamps that point where you look. A freebie from Harbor Freight and now I would go without it. Sure is nice when you need both hands and want the light pointing where you are looking.

11. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Road Train Member

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.