What is the best type flashlight and best brand battery?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by candun, Jun 7, 2009.

The best flashlight for truck driver is...

1. *

a large, heavy duty Magnum

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. *

a small hand-sized Magnum

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. *

a forehead mounted light

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. one that takes "lantern" batteries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. *

a high-quality LED handheld

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  6. *

anything that's cheap and shines light

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    I have a small LED pocket flashlight I got in a bargain bin at target and a 3 Cell LED mag light for the truck. I like Duracell batteries myself.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    The "best" flashlight is a highly subjective term.

What task do you want it to be that best at performing? Those 20-cell Maglites are good for lighting something up, but it does you no good if you left that light in your vehicle and you need it inside the building RIGHT NOW. In this example, a mini-Maglite that you carry in a belt holster on your person is a MUCH better light. Why? Because you have it when you need it.

I prefer a Fenix LD09. It's advertised at 130 lumens and uses 1 AA battery. Yep, that is small enough to fit into my jeans pocket and I can always have it with me.

Additionally, I prefer Sanyo Eneloop batteries (rechargeable) with a Sony Smart Charger. Unfortunately, Sanyo sold the Eneloop brand to Panasonic, who is continuing to market the Eneloops. Time will tell if they are as good as the original Eneloops.

Lastly, for C and D-cell flashights, I have inserts that allow you to use 1 AA battery in place of 1 C or D battery. That turns a 4 D Maglite into a 4 AA Maglite. What is the benefit? For me, it allows me to use my rechargeable AA Eneloops in the larger lights at no additional costs, I do not have to keep multiple sizes of batteries, and you do not loose any brightness.

Grijon Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Absolutely. I use a "Flashlight" app on my phone. Turns the camera flash into a continuous light. Handy to have when you left your flashlights in the cab.

5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Rather than messing around with trying to position a flashlight where I need it so I can work with both hands I use a headlamp. It's always aimed right where I'm looking. Chaining in the dark is much easier when you always have light where you are looking, even peering inside the tandem to hook up.

6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I have no need of a flashlight! I carry two rocks and some dry kindling everywhere I go. Durned kids with your fancy techno-crap! GPS's and cell phones and maps and flashlights. Heck, I navigate by stars and tree moss, and use smoke signals to communicate!

Durned kids these days, anyway....

Ebola Guy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. mrallenca

mrallenca Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    A good led headlight would be my choice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.