What is the best unlimited Data / cell phone provider

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by RockyTopTn4life, Dec 17, 2016.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Only if you don't have either a waiver against throttling data cap on the home or have a bundle and skip the extra 30 dollar unlimited data cap plan for the ATT. Example Uverse and Uverse tv bundle. Pay 80 dollars for both services based on the Direct TV select model. You can pay for more channels all the way to 125 to 150 dollars a month.

I keep mine wired and pull a dozen terabyte as well as upload hundreds of megabytes during gaming live both ways so... no problems. My contract is month to month grandfathered in. I don't worry about data.

Now the phone.

I can get data for ATT but it's limited to a few gig at most. I can burn that in a couple of days with a smart phone. I prepay my phone through Tracphone and rely on text mostly. And internet relay for calls from home. I don't worry about voice minutes since I don't use them and there is a gig of data on hand ready to go for tornado outbreaks like tonight on the road if necessary.

Speeds are crappy across the board with tracphone. There is no point really in spending money on data. So there is that.

As far as cell phones in trucking. I had sprint in my time. Eventually they tried to get me feeling like my phone was obselete and made a big mistake upgrading which caused approximately 700 dollars in losses which they paid back directly from executive services. I will never ever accept any marketer calling for a cell phone provider telling me my phone is a POS.

There is a reason for that. My ex uses a prepaid government phone, but hers is not a smart phone it's a 2G flip phone. Everyone pretty much quit using 2G services nationally this year. If you stop using a flip phone and try to upgrade to a smart phone you will instantly lose your 2G service and be put into a more expensive 4G service. Like that metters to ex all she does is voice and text. And to her the voice is limited and text is not limited.

They constantly tell her that her phone is a POS and she should dump the flip. I tell her not to dump it. And demonstrate with my POS smart phone that cost only 30 dollars in walmart why it's so bad. Im not paying 800 dollars for a new top of line galaxy 8 or whatever. Im no where near that. I'll buy a top of line handy cam from sony first with the best of everything availible for 800.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shorttacus

Shorttacus Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2017
    I live in northern california. (Eureka) And verizon is king out here. I drove out to Iowa and back and had no issues. Other than the price of the monthly plan. Note4.

4. Bangkok Bill

Bangkok Bill Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Hurst,
    It's been 6 months. How about an update? Are you still loving Verizon?
    Are you OTR?
    If so, how is the coverage?
    I've had T-MOBILE unlimited for over a year OTR. Just too many places where I have no internet or low quality internet.
    Thanks in advance for the info!

5. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Verizon is in my opinion still the best mobile provider there is for OTR drivers.

Hurst

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Most of the people have only had Verizon for the last 5 years or more and have no idea what improvements have been made with all carriers lately. Therefore, Verizon will be the only opinion you'll hear about. Most have pretty good coverage on the east side. Out here on the West they're all hit and miss. But have greatly improved the last couple of years.

Give att a try. They work where V and S won't. And has better coverage from what I've seen. They also own directv. You can get a savings on tv. And there's an app and a websight to watch directv on a tv or laptop away from home. The app is as little as $10 plus $5 if you want hbo. I now have directv with all the channels I watch for $10. No more cables, boxes, or dishes to setup.

I had V for 6 years. I now have S with an ATT hotspot. AT&T is my home internet for my directv app. $30 FOR tv and internet bundled.

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Verizon has the largest coverage area of any mobile provider. Period. They work in more places than any of the others combined. You forget,. I was a long time Sprint/Nextel user for years up until recently. I've only had Verizon for maybe 2 yrs now.

That and I have showed you the coverage maps for the big 4 mobile providers.

They fall like this.
    #1 Verizon
    #2 ATT
    #3 Sprint
    #4 T-Mobile

Verizon's network is 4 times larger than Sprint and T-mobile combined. ATT is the second largest and besides Verizon,.. the only other carrier I would consider using besides Verizon if I ever got pissed off with them.

Unless you can prove me wrong. For quality of service and the largest network coverage area ,.. no one can beat Verizon. Period. This is why for an OTR driver like myself,. Verizon is the only logical choice. Not the cheapest choice. You get what you pay for.

Hurst

9. TaterFox

TaterFox Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Ashland City, TN
    Behold, my necromancy powers.
    So straight talk has the true unlimited, anyone have that, any feedback? Thinking about getting a LG Stylo 3 with straight talk Verizon coverage.

10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I have Straight Talk on the Verizon side and bring you own phone deal. Seems to good to be true but they are saying unlimited data. I was paying$55 for 15 GB now they say the same plan is unlimited.

11. TaterFox

TaterFox Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Ashland City, TN
    Coverage wise I'll be running regional mainly from tx, ar, la,Ms,tn, Al, ok...t mobile was spotty, no problems on your end?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.