What is the GCWR for a kenworth t800?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by JD Trucker, Oct 27, 2019.

1. JD Trucker

JD Trucker Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Hello,I see the gross for my dump truck is 48000lbs on the door sticker,at the end of the day I have been asked to haul the grade tractor and trailer to the dumpsite with a full truck,I felt it was overweight as a combination and went over the scale before I dumped,77600lbs. I didnt see a GCWR on the door sticker and did not know the rule of thumb. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Any class 8 truck can do 80k. The GWR you are looking at is just for the power unit. The towing capacity is generally only limited by what the truck is registered for. 80k for interstate and (around here) 105k for tri axle trailers. You have typically two 20k drive axles, but that tends to be limited to 34k by STAA laws. That leaves you 14k left for the from axle, which tends to land somewhere between 12k and 12.5k lbs.
    The GCWR really doesn't matter as the rest of the weight falls on the trailer axles.
    The frame, engine, transmission, and rear end call all handle up to 105k just as easy as 80k. The only difference I've seen at the companies that have both is the cab registration and the tri axles have a dump switch for the third axle.
    Heck, I've seen a fair few times they pulled one of the 80k trucks and simply had the shop wire a dump switch to have an extra truck just in case.

4. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    What didn't you like about pulling it?

I've never pulled a pintle hitch trailer, but as long as it stops good & is stable, I don't see the issue.

Like @ZVar said, the truck itself is surely capable.

5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    48,000 gvw is probably 38 or even 36 rears depending how old it is, total would depend on what the trailer is good for

6. JD Trucker

JD Trucker Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Okay thank you guys. The main complaint from me is it just felt hard to steer and felt like the front suspension was bottoming out on the bumps. I have not seen what weight it is registered for,but at least I know that I am not exceeding the mechanical side of things @ 77600lbs. The trailer is a 18ft tandem dual wheel tilt trailer with a john deere 210 grade tractor on it. I am sure the trailer is not overloaded.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Not so fast, even what I told you is simply "general" information.
    On your door jamb is the axle weights on a per axle basis.
    If it's a 12k or better axle, then yea you might want to get the suspension looked at. It could be specced smaller to save money for a specific task.

8. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Something is wrong with your truck.

I’m at 80k all the time in a dump truck pulling a pintle hitch. The truck actually rides better with a load and heavy trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.