What is the minimum home time to make it in on a lease

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Aarrons, May 6, 2017.

1. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Plus I imagine being a constantly a trainer.

I ask because some companies push leases and give trainer status with few MONTHS XP

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    You want to do a lease purchase I take it ????

None. Once you make the terrible decision to do a fleece floperator you are now a slave and will have maybe 8 hours at home every 2 weeks if your lucky.

Something about this industry attracting broke , dump , desperate and stupid.

4. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    It would depend on your situation. There are drivers on this very forum who are home every week and are successful with their lease, there are other drivers who are only home every 2 months and are successful with their lease.

Neither are trainers.

mindes Thanks this.
  5. mindes

mindes Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Crestview, Fl
    It would also depend on where you live. Love near a major freight route, easy; live in bfe, not so easy.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  6. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    If you have to train to make a lease work, it's not worth signing on.
    If you like being home regularly , don't be a trainer.
    You may want to ask yourself why you want to do a LP.
    If it's so you can make big money and drive a bright and shiny chromed out truck, don't lease.
    If you plan on taking ownership of the truck and the burden that comes with it, take a swing.

7. rawe

rawe Light Load Member

May 29, 2015
    How to find out if your not a real Owner Operater they tell you when you take time off. .. No thank you
    Lp is a Fancy way of telling you your getting screwed nice title for company driver that pays for there truck

8. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    The minimum amount of hometime is 0.

Think you're asking the maximum hometime. That depends on the amount of revenue you generate, your revenue goals and your ability to manage money. It's not going to be the same for every driver.

I run 3 to 4 weeks and take off 7 to 10 days. Sometimes more depending on what's going on at home. I don't do lease purchase, I do a straight 1 year lease. At the end of the lease I take 6 weeks to 8 weeks.

Aarrons Thanks this.
  9. Sham3R

Sham3R Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2016
    AZ
    I typically take 1wk off for every student (yes I train) if I'm solo I stay out until I make enough to warrant a week off (usually 1-2months)

10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Not sure if I would want to train students on the tractor I am lease purchasing since I will be responsible for the damage and extra downtime, not to mention the higher than average repair bills and poor fuel economy a new driver gets. The extra cost and risk is not worth the extra income in my opinion.

I became an owner so that I had the freedom to go where I wanted, when I wanted, by myself. I surly wouldn't want the headache of a new driver in my truck tearing it up. Same for home time, becoming a lease purchase driver will be a learning curve and difficult at first, so I would expect less home time and less money in your pocket until you get the swing of things. I never did lease purchase but my first few years as an independent were tight, made less than a company driver but I had freedom and did it my way. Never was leased on though, bought my first truck and started with my own authority the same time so it may be different with the backing of a carrier but I doubt it.

Good luck either way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.